Baby turtle's mommy needs wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZippyDeedo

5 Year Member
Hi! I am a brand new turtle owner of a brand new turtle. My family and I purchased a baby western box turtle a few days ago from a local reptile shop. The turtle is so young that it still has its egg tooth. Of course, I found this website too late to learn that as such a newbie, I should NEVER have obtained such a young turtle. I am reading as much as I can from TFO, but I was wondering if anyone has any extra special words of encouragement or advice for me and tiny Zippy. I want Zippy to outlive me and I plan to be around for many more years...PS...Zippy was born with only one eye, which made my daughter choose him over the others...[/size][/font]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome.....sounds a little nerve racking but do-able :D I think it would be fun for you to share with us how you are set up for housing/care, etc for your new little little little one :p We love pics :)

ZippyDeedo

5 Year Member
well, so far Zippy is just in a ten gallon glass tank, on what looks like indoor/outdoor carpeting. I was told by two separate guys at the reptile place not to give any substrate yet, but I don't know about that. I have a paper fake forest taped up to the back and lower parts of the glass bc he was walking into them. He has a half log to hide in, a shallow dish for water and bathing...small but was told it's big enough for now. He has a heat lamp (don't know what kind...has a red light) and I am picking up a UVA/UVB light tomorrow (was out of stock in the correct size) The temp is staying in the mid eighties but the humidity is very low. He never mentioned anything to me about that. I keep adding water to the tank and the humidity is climbing a little. How high should it be? I keep soaking the turtle, but he doesn't particularly seem to love it. He is eating some wax worms but won't touch the pellets, the lettuce, or the strawberries that I've tried so far. I've been reading and reading on this site, but there is so much to learn. I'm mad at myself for not researching BEFORE getting the turtle. AND...I don't know how to do pictures on this site. Have to figure that out in the AM

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I like to use tinypic.com for pics. Its really easy and you don't need any sort of sign up or account. Just upload any size pic and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

Are you sure it was a Western? Those aren't too common. Pretty neat if yes. Good luck to you.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hi there:) I noticed you said you were feeding lettuce. Make sure you don't do any iceburg! It has no nutritional value but it tastes great, so most turtles/torts will readily eat it, and will even forgo eating other greens and veggies waiting for more of this stuff. While Box turtles are not aquatic, they do like moisture, but definitely not saturation of the tank. You will also need to make sure you are supplementing Zippy's diet with a calcium powder. (Available at any pet store). Just don't get powder that includes phosphorous. He will get enough of that through his veggies and protein. You might also try some canteloupe. It is sweet and juicy and might help him move into eating something other than the worms.
Check out this link. It has some great general info on box turtles, as well as specific information for pet owners.
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/TerrapenecareSZ.htm
I myself am a new red footed tortoise mommmy :) and also have four aquatic turtles that I've had for years. Good luck and enjoy your new pet. Turtles are wonderful companions!

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hello :)

Check out this link. It has a lot of good general box turtle info, as well as a lot of specific information for pet owners. http://www.chelonia.org/articles/TerrapenecareSZ.htm

I noticed you said you were feeding lettuce. Just make sure you are not feeding Iceburg! It has no nutritional value but it tastes great, so they will eat it readily. Go for dark leafy greens (no spinache) juicy fruits, zuccini, yellow squash, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your new pet! Turtles are wonderful companions!

woops, sorry about the double post. I'm new here, too! I tried to post the longer reply, but it didn't seem to be working, so i did the shortened one hoping that would post....and they both did. sorry! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.