Baby With Swollen Shut Eyes

blubli0911

Location (City and/or State)
westfield
Hini just got a baby tortoise and I noticed his eyes wont open and look swollen. Can someone please help me and tell me what's wrong with him or what can I do.i will attach a photo of him.

20201101_171808.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This happens when babies haven't eaten in a while (vitamin A deficiency), or when the baby's enclosure isn't warm enough, or when the eyes are irritated by a strong light or sand.

It's up to you to be the detective and correct the problem, but in the meantime, I can show you how to get the eyes open - but you MUST correct the problem or it will happen again.

Buy some strained carrot baby food and, using a bowl with tall sides, but a small footprint, mix the baby food half and half with warm water. You want the liquid to come up to the middle of the baby's sides, so adjust the proportion accordingly.

Place the bowl back into the enclosure next to but NOT DIRECTLY UNDER the light. Keep an eye on him and leave him soaking for an hour or more.

If you do this faithfully for three successive days the eyes will open on the third day.This gives you three days to figure out why this happened in the first place. Use the time to read (with an open mind) our baby sulcata care sheet and make any necessary changes.

Please keep us in the loop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hini just got a baby tortoise and I noticed his eyes wont open and look swollen. Can someone please help me and tell me what's wrong with him or what can I do.i will attach a photo of him.
We need more info if we are to help you.

How are you housing the baby?
What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
What bulbs are you using? UV? What type of UV?
What substrate?
Enclosure pics?