Baby wont eat.

casandra utecht

I bought him 2 days ago and he was active and eating when i picked him out. Hes been hiding in the corner since i put him in the tank and tries to bury himself in the mulch he doesnt want to eat or anything.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Please read Tom's threads below in my post for proper housing and care. Be sure temps and humidity are correct, give warm soaks every day and give him time to adjust to his new home which hopefully is not a small tank

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Welcome to the forum! It takes about a week for them to get situated in there new enclosure, the tort goes through a lot of stress moving to a new enclosure. What species do up have? What are the day temps and night temps?

nextep

Its normal, not all tortoises adapt that quick, although I would check the bulbs becuase I've read some bulbs make tortoises have that sort of reaction. But if everything is correct then I would just give your tort time to adapt, good luck :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its normal, not all tortoises adapt that quick, although I would check the bulbs because I've read some bulbs make tortoises have that sort of reaction. But if everything is correct then I would just give your tort time to adapt, good luck :)
The compact, coiled bulbs cause distress and blindness to young tortoises and unfortunately are sold by pet shops around the globe. (My vet even sells them!) Although there, they are not recommended for tortoises at least.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Before you think it's normal, check your temps/heat/humidity and so forth. What are your readings? He could be cold, etc. Most WILL hide the first week or so but be SURE all other elements are spot on before you assume he is just getting use to things. For a wee one you want to chop up his fresh grasses pretty small so he can eat them (I used a food chopper) and I would mix in 1 Mazuri pellet (soaked) in it (like a salad topping) for good measure. Offer up plenty of different good stuff and avoid junk (lettuce, etc.)