babysitting a couple sulcatas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last year I took in two sulcatas from the Clovis SPCA. One was a juvenile and the other was a hatchling. And, darn it! I didn't take pictures of them. Well, anyway - the SPCA asked me to hang onto them for a bit as they were waiting to see what happened with the original owner, who had been arrested on a drug charge. It turned out that she was going to have to be incarcerated, so I was given permission to adopt out the tortoises.

I have a guy come over once a month to knock down webs and take care of bugs. He has a large sulcata of his own, so he understands about poisons and tortoises. When he saw the little hatchling sitting primly in her little habitat he asked if he could adopt her. Since he has his own sulcata, which he adopted from me a few years ago, and I had done a physical inspection of his yard, I knew that he would take good care of the hatchling and I let him take her home. If memory served, that was in September '14. And the tortoise was a very tiny hatchling with only a very tiny bit of growth.

My bug guy called me last week to see if I could watch his two sulcatas for 2 weeks while he went to Virginia for Thanksgiving. I don't have any rescues in the back yard right now, so I told him I would. I'm so disappointed. The big sulcata looks great and weighs about 80lbs, but the baby, now a yearling, is living in a cardboard box with a tiny Zoo Med heat pad and a terry towel.

babysitting c.jpg

This is how she's set up now, and I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send it all home with him when he picks them up in a couple weeks, and even this is too small, but as you can see, it's slightly longer than my washing machine is wide:

babysitting a.jpg
babysitting b.jpg

On the phone I asked if he would please bring the young one over in her existing habitat because it makes it easier on both the tortoise and me. He told me that since it turned cold and he had to bring her in the house, he only had her in a box. You can believe he's going to get an earful when he comes to pick them up. I can't believe he expects to have that tortoise live in a box all winter.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Last year I took in two sulcatas from the Clovis SPCA. One was a juvenile and the other was a hatchling. And, darn it! I didn't take pictures of them. Well, anyway - the SPCA asked me to hang onto them for a bit as they were waiting to see what happened with the original owner, who had been arrested on a drug charge. It turned out that she was going to have to be incarcerated, so I was given permission to adopt out the tortoises.

I have a guy come over once a month to knock down webs and take care of bugs. He has a large sulcata of his own, so he understands about poisons and tortoises. When he saw the little hatchling sitting primly in her little habitat he asked if he could adopt her. Since he has his own sulcata, which he adopted from me a few years ago, and I had done a physical inspection of his yard, I knew that he would take good care of the hatchling and I let him take her home. If memory served, that was in September '14. And the tortoise was a very tiny hatchling with only a very tiny bit of growth.

My bug guy called me last week to see if I could watch his two sulcatas for 2 weeks while he went to Virginia for Thanksgiving. I don't have any rescues in the back yard right now, so I told him I would. I'm so disappointed. The big sulcata looks great and weighs about 80lbs, but the baby, now a yearling, is living in a cardboard box with a tiny Zoo Med heat pad and a terry towel.

View attachment 156060

This is how she's set up now, and I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and send it all home with him when he picks them up in a couple weeks, and even this is too small, but as you can see, it's slightly longer than my washing machine is wide:

View attachment 156058
View attachment 156059

On the phone I asked if he would please bring the young one over in her existing habitat because it makes it easier on both the tortoise and me. He told me that since it turned cold and he had to bring her in the house, he only had her in a box. You can believe he's going to get an earful when he comes to pick them up. I can't believe he expects to have that tortoise live in a box all winter.
Makes me think what else is he doing wrong. I can't tell on my phone, is that sully pyramiding? Does he hydrate the tort? What's he feeding?
Give it to him with both barrels.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's got a little bit of pyramiding. When he saw her at my house, she was set up outside, and he took her home in the same tub I had her in and placed it outside too. He kept the substrate moist and soaked her daily per my instructions (at least that's what he told me), but when he brought her indoors due to cooler weather, he put her into the cardboard box. I don't understand why he couldn't just bring in her outdoor container too. It was totally portable.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
She's got a little bit of pyramiding. When he saw her at my house, she was set up outside, and he took her home in the same tub I had her in and placed it outside too. He kept the substrate moist and soaked her daily per my instructions (at least that's what he told me), but when he brought her indoors due to cooler weather, he put her into the cardboard box. I don't understand why he couldn't just bring in her outdoor container too. It was totally portable.
I think you are going to have to tactfully ask him some questions. So he was keeping her in that cardboard box on a blanket over a heat mat.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yikes. I always take the stance of the 'educator' and try to help people tactfully, but I think I would be throwing a fit.

Maybe find a way to ask if he is really okay with keeping her and being lazy, or if maybe he has space or financial issues that are preventing proper care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him a good education Yvonne. He's got lots of guts to bring it back to you in that kind of an enclosure, knowing the kind of things you do before adopting out.

Bee62

Germany
Hi,

just found this old thread and read it.
What happend to the small tortoise ? Do you gave him the poor tort back @Yvonne ?
I think not....;)
What do you told him ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not a very happy story, I'm afraid.

He took the tortoises home. Over time, he developed eye problems and was forced to quit his job. He and his family decided it would be best for them to move to Virginia where his daughter and a lot of his relatives live. He and his wife went first, leaving the two tortoises here in the care of a relative. The next door neighbor's dog broke the fence when no one was home and killed the small sulcata, and chewed the shell and a bit of the legs on the large sulcata.

He's been trying to get the sulcata back to Virginia, and has the winter set up all ready, but things just aren't working out. So they've decided to leave the sulcata here, where he's used to being, and try to find a rescue there in Virginia.

The relative who now lives in the old house with the sulcata, really has taken to the animal. The fence has been repaired and reinforced, and other than losing the younger sulcata, it's all good.

Bee62

Germany
It's not a very happy story, I'm afraid.

He took the tortoises home. Over time, he developed eye problems and was forced to quit his job. He and his family decided it would be best for them to move to Virginia where his daughter and a lot of his relatives live. He and his wife went first, leaving the two tortoises here in the care of a relative. The next door neighbor's dog broke the fence when no one was home and killed the small sulcata, and chewed the shell and a bit of the legs on the large sulcata.

He's been trying to get the sulcata back to Virginia, and has the winter set up all ready, but things just aren't working out. So they've decided to leave the sulcata here, where he's used to being, and try to find a rescue there in Virginia.

The relative who now lives in the old house with the sulcata, really has taken to the animal. The fence has been repaired and reinforced, and other than losing the younger sulcata, it's all good.

This is a really sad story ! :(
I wouldn`t move anywhere without my pets, anytime ! I would`t leave them back to pick them up sometimes later. No. Never.
Sometimes, ...... often ....., I don`t understand people.
And when people say: It is only a tortoise....., I know what I have to think about these people.:(

I believe the story makes you sad too, Yvonne. I know how much you love animals.