Babysitting a Tortoise, have a few concerns

Ihaveeatortoise

Hey guys, sometime this past month I was asked if I could babysit a tortoise. I agreed and was told that he was hibernating and would have nothing to worry about. However, a few days after I got him he woke up and was very active. I fed him some lettuce and almost immediately after he finished eating he found a dark corner and fell asleep for a few hours. We've continued this routine and he's getting quite friendly.

I'm growing a bit attached to this little guy but I'm concerned about his shell. I had red ear sliders growing up and remember reading that their shells should be smooth and bright and any pyramiding was an indication that there was a mineral deficiency. I don't know what kind of tortoise he is and contacting his owner is a bit difficult. I've attached some pictures and although it may be hard to see, is this pyramiding normal in any case? Any advise is appreciated. 20160305_010502.jpg 20160305_010448.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Looks like a desert tortoise to me.

Where do you live, as in what state?

Yes, he has some pyramiding but it isn't horrible. Rather than a mineral deficiency, this is most likely from growth in dry conditions.

How is he being housed while staying with you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) are one species that is very hard to grow pyramided. It takes some pretty unfavorable conditions to make them grow pyramided. But, what's done is done.

You can help by changing his diet and setting him up properly. Read this care sheet:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Ihaveeatortoise

Looks like a desert tortoise to me.

Where do you live, as in what state?

Yes, he has some pyramiding but it isn't horrible. Rather than a mineral deficiency, this is most likely from growth in dry conditions.

How is he being housed while staying with you?

I live in Southern California and you're probably right, it is probably due to the dry conditions. Since he was suppose to be hibernating he was given to me in a box but I'm determined to make his time with me the best. Thank you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The hibernating box, was it empty like in the photo or was he buried in leaves and you heard him moving around?

I ask only to help.. :)

He might have stirred in care because your room/house is warmer than wherever the owners were keeping him. Regardless, he's up now :)
Would you like any tips or info on how to temporarily house him?

Ihaveeatortoise

The hibernating box, was it empty like in the photo or was he buried in leaves and you heard him moving around?

I ask only to help.. :)

He might have stirred in care because your room/house is warmer than wherever the owners were keeping him. Regardless, he's up now :)
Would you like any tips or info on how to temporarily house him?

His box was empty nothing in it except himself. I'm worried because when I picked him up it didn't look like his owner had a proper environment for him except for the box. I would love tips on temporary housing!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
@Yvonne G -
As someone who frequently takes in tortoises on a temporary basis (she's been rescuing and dealing with torts for 50 years or so) how would you suggest this person sets up the babysitting DT?

@ascott you are also a DT keeper. How would you suggest this tortoise be housed? After all, it's only temporary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I gave the OP the link to the desert tortoise care sheet. I would follow the info from that link and set the tortoise up accordingly.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey guys, sometime this past month I was asked if I could babysit a tortoise. I agreed and was told that he was hibernating and would have nothing to worry about. However, a few days after I got him he woke up and was very active. I fed him some lettuce and almost immediately after he finished eating he found a dark corner and fell asleep for a few hours. We've continued this routine and he's getting quite friendly.

I'm growing a bit attached to this little guy but I'm concerned about his shell. I had red ear sliders growing up and remember reading that their shells should be smooth and bright and any pyramiding was an indication that there was a mineral deficiency. I don't know what kind of tortoise he is and contacting his owner is a bit difficult. I've attached some pictures and although it may be hard to see, is this pyramiding normal in any case? Any advise is appreciated. View attachment 166814 View attachment 166813

Well, a simple box to brumate in is alright....I toss some old cotton tshirts or cotton towels incase they want to fluff....rarely do the guys here fluff...but makes "me" feel better for them to have one incase....dumb, but just the facts. Likely diet and lack of natural sunlight/uv rays also played a huge roll in the pyramiding....after all, this is a species that is known to live and thrive in a mostly arid environment....even though they burrow, those burrows are not naturally high humidity zones....some folks here will rebut my words, and that is fine....I live here where they do, I have hiked and peeked and poked and followed a variety of these guys in their wild space and will never be told otherwise....so while their natural area is arid, they absolutely do love love love access to water to drink and some will even self soak if given a choice soaking spot to their liking....they have also been known to rouse from their winter rest to partake of water in a down pour....I have seen one of the guys here come out of their hide when the temp here quickly and unexpectedly dropped to the teens , the poor guy woke and backed out of his hut and was trying to dig to get deeper...it was an interesting thing to observe, however, he was moving so slow I was more concerned about him freezing over quicker than he could dig down, so nonetheless, he found himself in a quiet, dry, cool tote in a dark closet for the rest of the winter....:p

You say that the tort ate some lettuce....and then went back to sleep.....perhaps the tort was a bit dehydrated? Perhaps the tort was hungry? Hard to now for certain....what is a bit more certain is that if the tort is eating (for whatever reason) then his internal temps require warming up so that the food taken in can be processed out....to avoid any gut rot of food.....also, it is near enough for him to come up and out of the rest slowly....spring temps are just round the corner.

You say that you were asked to babysit the tort...do you have an idea of for how long? A month, two, six??? Do you have a yard? Do you have a place in your home that you can set up an indoor area? what is the size of the tortoise? How long has the person asking you to babysit had the tortoise?

Ihaveeatortoise

Well, a simple box to brumate in is alright....I toss some old cotton tshirts or cotton towels incase they want to fluff....rarely do the guys here fluff...but makes "me" feel better for them to have one incase....dumb, but just the facts. Likely diet and lack of natural sunlight/uv rays also played a huge roll in the pyramiding....after all, this is a species that is known to live and thrive in a mostly arid environment....even though they burrow, those burrows are not naturally high humidity zones....some folks here will rebut my words, and that is fine....I live here where they do, I have hiked and peeked and poked and followed a variety of these guys in their wild space and will never be told otherwise....so while their natural area is arid, they absolutely do love love love access to water to drink and some will even self soak if given a choice soaking spot to their liking....they have also been known to rouse from their winter rest to partake of water in a down pour....I have seen one of the guys here come out of their hide when the temp here quickly and unexpectedly dropped to the teens , the poor guy woke and backed out of his hut and was trying to dig to get deeper...it was an interesting thing to observe, however, he was moving so slow I was more concerned about him freezing over quicker than he could dig down, so nonetheless, he found himself in a quiet, dry, cool tote in a dark closet for the rest of the winter....:p

You say that the tort ate some lettuce....and then went back to sleep.....perhaps the tort was a bit dehydrated? Perhaps the tort was hungry? Hard to now for certain....what is a bit more certain is that if the tort is eating (for whatever reason) then his internal temps require warming up so that the food taken in can be processed out....to avoid any gut rot of food.....also, it is near enough for him to come up and out of the rest slowly....spring temps are just round the corner.

You say that you were asked to babysit the tort...do you have an idea of for how long? A month, two, six??? Do you have a yard? Do you have a place in your home that you can set up an indoor area? what is the size of the tortoise? How long has the person asking you to babysit had the tortoise?

See, here's the thing, I don't know how long I'm babysitting this tortoise. The owner went to another state on business and casually asked if I could babysit. I agreed and picked him up (friend was no longer staying at his place). I've contacted him a few times but I haven't really received any responses. This is why I'm determined to make this little (sort of, he's 37 years old!) tort happy. I do not have a yard but have access to a yard and there's a park around the corner he might enjoy. I've tried feeding him other food but he only goes for the lettuce so I'm at a loss as to what to feed him. I have been bathing him regularly because I've never seen him poop but after his second warm bath he did pee quite a lot. What do you mean by gut rot of food?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
See, here's the thing, I don't know how long I'm babysitting this tortoise. The owner went to another state on business and casually asked if I could babysit. I agreed and picked him up (friend was no longer staying at his place). I've contacted him a few times but I haven't really received any responses. This is why I'm determined to make this little (sort of, he's 37 years old!) tort happy. I do not have a yard but have access to a yard and there's a park around the corner he might enjoy. I've tried feeding him other food but he only goes for the lettuce so I'm at a loss as to what to feed him. I have been bathing him regularly because I've never seen him poop but after his second warm bath he did pee quite a lot. What do you mean by gut rot of food?

If the tort has taken to eating then the tort will need to be able to raise his internal temps to over 85 degree and sustain that for a few hours or more each day..or the food that is eaten will not be moved out of the body and when this occurs the food left sitting in the body/gut can and does begin to rot...which is a bad thing..so warmth and physical motion along with hydration is needed....and uv rays trigger the whole process....so it will be important for you to determine to continue a quiet sleep or if you are going to support the wake up and keep the tort warm/fed/exercised/hydrated and not continue brumation....