Back again. Hatchling plastron indent advice needed.

fourtorts

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone,

I know I only posted a few hours ago. Back again with a little update on the two babies I am having concerns with.

Long story short, I popped them back into the incubator with food to ensure they are getting the proper humidity. I’m seeing that you really cannot mess with the levels at all. Every other baby is doing fantastic and their plastrons and shells are as they should be. No issues with the others. This is my second batch of babies and I’ve never run into this issue before. This one baby was the last to hatch...by weeks and was stuck in its shell for days, half in and out even when moving around the incubator. It was still attached. Now she/he is eating and drinking and moving non stop and as you can see not currently attached to its’ shell anymore. I am concerned about the indent across the middle of her/his plastron. As I mentioned, this one and another are back in their incubator being cared for. How can I address this issue (photos attached). Would A&D help? I am also making sure it’s getting enough calcium and daily soakings.

PS
Photo with glove on is the first photo and yolk sac is looking a little better. I know it does look quite dry and I’m really hoping being back in the 100% humidity will help!

Thank you!

Attachments

• FAA60F46-136C-4ADB-8705-1711DEB6276B.jpeg
    FAA60F46-136C-4ADB-8705-1711DEB6276B.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 17
  • C15F1E51-2408-492E-92B8-6061B7FD88CD.jpeg
    C15F1E51-2408-492E-92B8-6061B7FD88CD.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 17
  • 5787DEB1-429F-4681-8F76-41B87120FC14.jpeg
    5787DEB1-429F-4681-8F76-41B87120FC14.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 17

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The often can emerge from the egg with a big fold in the plastron. You wouldn't believe how misshapen some can be, especially some that come from elongated/oval eggs. As long as everything is fine and the tortoise is healthy, it will straighten out and you will not be able to see any difference in a week or so. Sometimes, totally normal in just 2 days.

The shell stuck to carapace is an indication of the incubation box getting to dry during hatching period. The albumen and fluid in the egg can turn to an unbelievable glue! Up the humidity near expected hatching. Once they start to pip, you can lightly spray the eggs as well or just add a bit more water to the substrate.

Reactions: Tom

fourtorts

New York
The often can emerge from the egg with a big fold in the plastron. You wouldn't believe how misshapen some can be, especially some that come from elongated/oval eggs. As long as everything is fine and the tortoise is healthy, it will straighten out and you will not be able to see any difference in a week or so. Sometimes, totally normal in just 2 days.

The shell stuck to carapace is an indication of the incubation box getting to dry during hatching period. The albumen and fluid in the egg can turn to an unbelievable glue! Up the humidity near expected hatching. Once they start to pip, you can lightly spray the eggs as well or just add a bit more water to the substrate.
Thank you so much. Lesson learned. All the other eggs did so well and I think I was worried about the last two and may have opened the incubator too much/fretted over them ??‍♀️. I tried not too. There was so much goop in their shells, it looks like a rupture and I was very worried instead of perhaps letting them do their natural thing. I didn’t touch them or move them, but I can see how the humidity may have been affected. They are back in the incubator now where I can monitor the humidity. They’re doing well though, hungry and busy. Thanks!