Background info and your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my most recent boxie. Purchased her off Kijiji and was told by the owner she got her from a pet store, she's had her for 3 months, and needs to sell her because she's returning to Asia and its too much in the way of paperwork (CITES) to take her. She also claims she's laid eggs in her indoor enclosure, which she's trying to incubate. For some reason i believe her. When I asked about which pet store, she started to avoid answering. Nonetheless, I still bought her. I suppose I didn't examine her well enough, it wasn't until I got home I noticed some shell damage. What do you think it's from? Dropped, animal attack, is she wild caught and somehow brought into Canada? It looks like a clean crack, but she does have a small missing portion from her front right. She looks like a female to me, looking at her tail. She's a bit shy, interested in worms, but hasn't eaten anything that I'm aware of. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-3162324102.png
    image-3162324102.png
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • image-2851596436.png
    image-2851596436.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • image-332398781.png
    image-332398781.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
OK> Female Eastern. Old healed shell damage. Probably long term captive. She looks pretty good to me. Shell damage could've been from an animal, farm machinery, car...many turtles that have been in the wild for awhile have damage such as this, or worse. If you want her to eat, you'll have to keep her warm, at this time of year, they're already slowing down in preparation for hibernation.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
yagyujubei said:
OK> Female Eastern. Old healed shell damage. Probably long term captive. She looks pretty good to me. Shell damage could've been from an animal, farm machinery, car...many turtles that have been in the wild for awhile have damage such as this, or worse. If you want her to eat, you'll have to keep her warm, at this time of year, they're already slowing down in preparation for hibernation.

Does this shell damage ever heal (in a cosmetic sense) over time? What can I do at this point to make sure her shell will be strong and healthy?

In the evening she comes inside, and during cooler weather as well. When she is in her indoor tub she prefers to sit under the mvb for hours. I do soak her everyday in warm water. Do you think she is somehow preprogramed for hibernation (assuming she may be long term wild caught), even though she is kept warm?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I would say she was probably wild caught at some point. Unfortunately most Terrepene that are sold in pet stores and online are wild caught. As for being transported into Canada it is possible. Though she could have come from Ontario Canada as well.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
mchong9606 said:
Does this shell damage ever heal (in a cosmetic sense) over time? What can I do at this point to make sure her shell will be strong and healthy?

In the evening she comes inside, and during cooler weather as well. When she is in her indoor tub she prefers to sit under the mvb for hours. I do soak her everyday in warm water. Do you think she is somehow preprogramed for hibernation (assuming she may be long term wild caught), even though she is kept warm?

To me, it looks like there was a bit of damage where scutes were knocked off. It appears to have haeled well, and there's new keratin, and even color there now. A lot of these get a bit of bacterial shell rot at the front edge of their shells. I routinely treat new turtles with bacitracin on any areas of the shell that look different. Black areas, or light that aren't part of the original pattern. I would probably do this with her as well, just as a precaution. A little ointment a couple times a week for a couple of weeks.
I believe that hibernation starts to kick in more because of daylight rather than temperatures. Once the photoperiod gets around 12 hours a day, it could trigger it. So if she's to be inside this winter, make sure the lights are on 13-14 hours.
All in all, she looks good, can we see a pic of her plastron?

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Here's a pic of her plastron. I do have the mvb on for a minimum of 12 hours.

In regards to her laying eggs a few months ago, it makes sense now (if true) that she was possibly wild caught not too long ago. Coming from the wild she would have been in brumation last year. Then again, the owner prior to all this may have let her brumate. I wish she could talk, I'd love to hear her stories! Either way, I'll take good care of her from here on.

image-4013895844.png

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
mchong9606 said:

If they come from a population that goes dormant they will given the right conditions. I would keep her active the first winter after that make provisions for her to go dormant ( this can be done either inside or out). Though to keep her active in the winter you would need to simulate spring/summer day length and temperatures. You will also need to use a UVB lamp. As far as the shell goes it looks like it is already healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.