backwater (or alternative) questions

Ignacio

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've been thinking about adding a second turtle to my 75 G tank for about a year now, I heard both horrible and great things about backwater but I decided to check out their website anyway, their flat shipping and mostly reasonable prices made me decide to order a painted turtle, an apricot pueblan snake (ive been looking for one for about 3-4 years), and a homes hingeback tortoise. I tried to add them to the cart and it didn't let me, well that was over a week ago, I've tried multiple times since and nothing, also called them a few times no answer, today I e-mailed them in hopes to be clarified if they actually have the animals. I've tried to add random animals to the cart just to see if it'd let me, out of over a dozen animals I tried to add, only the most expensive ones were added to the cart, could had been a coincidence but I'm starting to wonder if the lower price animals (compared to other sites) are nothing but click bait, reasonable priced animals that you cant buy to get you there and see if you go for their more expensive animals?

has anyone else had similar experiences with them? any recommended online breeders that ship to Florida and have reasonable prices? i was so excited to add those 3 amazing reptiles to my home for less than $250 including shipping, I should had known it sounded too good. Extra annoying because I had already gotten the lumber and started building the tortoise enclosure, now wondering if i should finish it for future use, abandoning the project for now as is, or disassemble it and use the wood for other projects ?

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place for the post and sorry for the rant, but i thought this experience could be helpful for others thinking about ordering from them, I'm still hopeful its only a website error and that they will contact me explaining why i cant order what their site clearly has been saying and still says they have, i understand live animals aren't products you scan and the site automatically updates but any good business that cares updates their site regularly or at least try to do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've been thinking about adding a second turtle to my 75 G tank for about a year now, I heard both horrible and great things about backwater but I decided to check out their website anyway, their flat shipping and mostly reasonable prices made me decide to order a painted turtle, an apricot pueblan snake (ive been looking for one for about 3-4 years), and a homes hingeback tortoise. I tried to add them to the cart and it didn't let me, well that was over a week ago, I've tried multiple times since and nothing, also called them a few times no answer, today I e-mailed them in hopes to be clarified if they actually have the animals. I've tried to add random animals to the cart just to see if it'd let me, out of over a dozen animals I tried to add, only the most expensive ones were added to the cart, could had been a coincidence but I'm starting to wonder if the lower price animals (compared to other sites) are nothing but click bait, reasonable priced animals that you cant buy to get you there and see if you go for their more expensive animals?

has anyone else had similar experiences with them? any recommended online breeders that ship to Florida and have reasonable prices? i was so excited to add those 3 amazing reptiles to my home for less than $250 including shipping, I should had known it sounded too good. Extra annoying because I had already gotten the lumber and started building the tortoise enclosure, now wondering if i should finish it for future use, abandoning the project for now as is, or disassemble it and use the wood for other projects ?

Sorry again if this is in the wrong place for the post and sorry for the rant, but i thought this experience could be helpful for others thinking about ordering from them, I'm still hopeful its only a website error and that they will contact me explaining why i cant order what their site clearly has been saying and still says they have, i understand live animals aren't products you scan and the site automatically updates but any good business that cares updates their site regularly or at least try to do it.
You've lucked out that the site isn't working. Buy from a good source. Don't support the bad ones. I've heard nothing but bad about them.