1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Backwater Reptiles Or Pet Solutions?

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by YourAverageReptileLover, Nov 1, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. YourAverageReptileLover

YourAverageReptileLover Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm ordering a Home's Hingeback Tortoise soon, and I need to order one online, as there aren't any where I live. I've done tons of research, and the best places I've found that have Hingebacks in my price range (I've saved up $82) are the two mentioned in the title. Has anyone here personally ordered from either of these? Is one better than the other? Both websites have an average rating of 4 stores on BBB (yes, I've seen the bad reviews from both sites. But really, all stores are going to have good and bad reviews), so they seem equal.
  2. mijojr

mijojr Member

South Dakota
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I know that Backwater Reptiles are not the best place for you to get your tortoise. If I were you I would save up for a good captive bred hatchling. Im sure others will tell more about the other site, but I would not risk getting an unhealthy tortoise.
    Moozillion and AmRoKo like this.
  3. CourtneyG

CourtneyG Active Member 5 Year Member

Auburn, Alabama
    Backwater is bad place to order from since the site outsources the animals and some people did not get what they ordered and for the most part the animal comes in bad shape. Never have heard of the other one though.
    AmRoKo likes this.
  4. tortadise

tortadise Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Tropical South Texas
    Have you researched homes hingebacks yet? They can be quite difficult to acclimate in captivity. Especially buying from not reputable sources as mentioned.
    AmRoKo likes this.
  5. Jodie

Jodie Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Spokane Valley WA
    I bought 2 hatching Leopards from Backwater. They were started poorly. One didn't make it. The other is 10 months old and has only gained 10 grams or so. I do not recommend buying from any source other than directly from the breeder. Save yourself the heartbreak.
    AmRoKo likes this.
  6. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    Read the reviews in the "Vendor Review" section of TFO.
    Moozillion and AmRoKo like this.