Backyard food

Status
Not open for further replies.

questionablecow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm having a problem with an incredibly picky Sulcatta. It's a baby Sulcata living outside, where I have a water dish it doesn't like to use, a mud pit it doesn't like to use, hibiscus it rarely eats (I think because it's had to rely on it so much it just got tired of eating it) plus a tree that gives off some yellow flowers that are the only thing it eats readily. I was giving it agave every once in a while until it didn't want it anymore, and I'm giving it Prickly Pear bits which it does it pretty readily, but I have to harvest them and feed it to him. I tried planting a roll of grass, but I have yet to see it eat from there. I also planted rosemary, basil, and another little plant that I can't remember but it won't eat from any of them. What will this picky eater eat! Any ideas?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I keep Leopards which are similar to Sulcata - First, how old is your baby? It may be too young to be outside all of the time,especially without regular supplemental feedings. My 11 year old Leopard lives outside 24/7 and has bermuda grass growing in his enclosure, plus I've planted grazing tortoise mix. In addition, I still feed him a variety of suitable foods from romaine, dandelion, timothy hay, cactus, mulberry leaves, rose of sharon,....to other good stuff a couple or more times a week - all of which I harvest from the yard or purchase at the market. To me, the harvesting is a necessary part of the care and keeping, plus I enjoy it. You can get a good idea of diet specifics by doing a search on this forum and by visiting www.africantortoise.com. The herbs should probably be occasionally fed rather than a staple. Sulcata and Leopards should mainly eat a variety of grasses, weeds and hay. When mine seem picky I cut up the least liked food and mix it in with a lot of their favorite increasing the ratio until soon they are eating the new food just as much as the favorite food. Hope this helps.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
waco tx
if it is a yearling or younger you need to prepare its food for him.. you also need to give him his vitamins and suplements also..

questionablecow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, it's a good 5, 5.5 inches which is what the guy told me would be ok outside. I'm not sure how old it is, but I was told it was about one year old. I noticed him eating from the short hibiscus in my backyard which means it's not that he doesn't want it, he just wants to get them himself (I think it's this way because I try to get him big, juicy, green ones from the top but most of the time he leaves them there.) Also, what kinds of vitamins and supplements? The guy I bought it from at the Phoenix Herp told me that with sunlight and a solid diet it wouldn't need supplements.

Again though, what do you guys have planted in your backyards so I can try to find something my tort will eat regularly that will be good for it? I'll get rid of the herbs!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine like pasture grass, Mallow, short Bermuda, they keep areas mowed really well! Clover, broadleafed weeds, veggies as treats. The smaller ones get Mazuri a few days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.