Ban on interstate trade with Egyptian tortoises?

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I was unable to go to TTPG this year, but I heard there was information regarding listing Egyptian tortoises as endangered, effectively destroying interstate buying/selling unless both parties lived in the same state or had CBW permits.

Is this true? If so, what an incredibly terrible piece of news...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
True. Our government has gone off the rails. Freedom is in its death throes.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Yes they did talk about it and yes it is a proposal to put them on the ESA thus making selling them across state lines illegal without permits.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Right now there is only a proposed rule to list them as threatened. They are proposing a 4(d) rule which would likely restrict interstate commerce. The proposed rule is in a public comment period right now

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
What is the rational? Are Egyptian tortoises even smuggled into the USA anymore? Is anyone going to be actually able to even get a CBW? Look how it ended up for radiata keepers, when was the last time someone actually was successful getting a CBW?

Egyptians could be an important adjunct to those who wish to have a tortoise but have minimal space. 4x2 is plenty for an adult, and they are quite prolific in the right setting. Close to 78 hatchlings were produced this year by ONLY 2 breeders. Imagine if there was a network of 20-30 breeders who together produced over a thousand hatchlings/year. Prices would go down, and more people would have an opportunity to own a tortoise and do right by the animal by providing an adequate a setup even in limited space.

Apologies, but I am furious about this...

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Wow, this is very disappointing. I have yet to get started with this species even after waiting for more than a year.

I just do not understand the rationale of placing foreign species on the ESA. Conservation needs to happen in their home country. I simply do not see how sale or movement of CB tortoises in the US is related to tortoises being caught in Egypt or caught in Libya and smuggled to Egypt.

They need local enforcement to prevent sad threads like these:

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
What is the rational? Are Egyptian tortoises even smuggled into the USA anymore? Is anyone going to be actually able to even get a CBW? Look how it ended up for radiata keepers, when was the last time someone actually was successful getting a CBW?

Egyptians could be an important adjunct to those who wish to have a tortoise but have minimal space. 4x2 is plenty for an adult, and they are quite prolific in the right setting. Close to 78 hatchlings were produced this year by ONLY 2 breeders. Imagine if there was a network of 20-30 breeders who together produced over a thousand hatchlings/year. Prices would go down, and more people would have an opportunity to own a tortoise and do right by the animal by providing an adequate a setup even in limited space.

Apologies, but I am furious about this...
I agree what you say, I'm one of the breeders who produces every year 30-40 babies and there are right now about 5 to 6 successful breeders. I encourage people to buy them from reptuable breeders to breed them for the future.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Wow, this is very disappointing. I have yet to get started with this species even after waiting for more than a year.

I just do not understand the rationale of placing foreign species on the ESA. Conservation needs to happen in their home country. I simply do not see how sale or movement of CB tortoises in the US is related to tortoises being caught in Egypt or caught in Libya and smuggled to Egypt.

They need local enforcement to prevent sad threads like these:

I agree what you say, I'm one of the breeders who produces every year 30-40 babies and there are right now about 5 to 6 successful breeders. I encourage people to buy them from reptuable breeders to breed them for the future.