Banana water

Shally

Location (City and/or State)
BIRMINGHAM
Hi everyone .... I have a young Russian named Turbo that I have had since April this year. He (but I think he might be a she!) lol appears to be doing really well, eating, pooping, peeing, digging!..... I have begun to grow suitable foods for him and new greenhouse is being erected on Saturday. So finally my question is ...... would it be ok to use Banana water for watering the plants with. I know (according to TTT) that Banana can be given sparingly, so would it be OK to use the banana water? Im trying to grow things as organically as I can to ensure that the food is all safe for him. Another quick question .... I have added an enlarged picture below to show the little chip in the front of his shell which was there when I got him, any ideas what would have caused it?

Thanks in advance :)

Turbo Climber.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know what banana water is either, but I spotted the straw you have his enclosure which is too dry for a Russian and could be a fire hazard under lamps.
This is the most up to date caresheet for Med torts and it will help you make any changes you need to help him thrive.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Aaaaagh, i think you are referring to water made using banana skins…

from the below article, the solution doesnt really add much & you might create an environment that attracts a lot of fruit flies too.
But….no harm to your tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

from the below article, the solution doesnt really add much & you might create an environment that attracts a lot of fruit flies too.

Ants could be a problem too with the banana water. Just use plain old water.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Most weeds that tortoises thrive on don't need any kind of fertilizer. Weeds specialize in growing in sparse conditions. We do add some lime (calcium carbonate) the the growing soil in Spring and Fall to have extra bioavailable calcium in the leaves.

As Lyn pointed out, straw is not a good option for a habitat. It can harbor mold spores and pose a fire hazard. It also looks like your little one's shell is a bit dry. Have you read the care sheet for temporate species? It would help you make a few adjustments to help your cutie thrive.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi everyone .... I have a young Russian named Turbo that I have had since April this year. He (but I think he might be a she!) lol appears to be doing really well, eating, pooping, peeing, digging!..... I have begun to grow suitable foods for him and new greenhouse is being erected on Saturday. So finally my question is ...... would it be ok to use Banana water for watering the plants with. I know (according to TTT) that Banana can be given sparingly, so would it be OK to use the banana water? Im trying to grow things as organically as I can to ensure that the food is all safe for him. Another quick question .... I have added an enlarged picture below to show the little chip in the front of his shell which was there when I got him, any ideas what would have caused it?

Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 346354
Hello and welcome. Is that Birmingham in the UK, or in USA ? I would suggest you file away the sharp corners of the little chip in his shell, using a nail file - just in case he manages to scratch himself on the shell. It won't get worse, and eventually the inner edges will smooth off. At least, on the plus side, if he should ever escape - as Russians like to do - you will have a way of identifying him !
Angie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Bananas shouldn't be fed at all to a Russian tortoise.
They're not a species that can process sugars

More than a tiny bit can cause serious GI issues.

They aren’t feeding bananas to the tort, they are simply making an infused water concoction using banana skins that are left to ferment/soak in water. Then using this water to water plants that are fed to the tortoise or are grown in the enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They aren’t feeding bananas to the tort, they are simply making an infused water concoction using banana skins that are left to ferment/soak in water. Then using this water to water plants that are fed to the tortoise or are grown in the enclosure.
So it is like a kind of natural liquid plant fertilizer?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The original post mentioned feeding bananas.

Reactions: Tom

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Most weeds that tortoises thrive on don't need any kind of fertilizer. Weeds specialize in growing in sparse conditions. We do add some lime (calcium carbonate) the the growing soil in Spring and Fall to have extra bioavailable calcium in the leaves.

As Lyn pointed out, straw is not a good option for a habitat. It can harbor mold spores and pose a fire hazard. It also looks like your little one's shell is a bit dry. Have you read the care sheet for temporate species? It would help you make a few adjustments to help your cutie thrive.
Hi
Yes I've read the care sheet and am adapting everything as suggested on there. The subrate is Aspen shavings which I thought would be OK as I was recommended at a reptile shop! ....I've been looking into getting some fine grade Orchid bark instead and am due to do a full clean out soon so will change it. Turbo HATES being in the water (unless there is food in there) and scrambles up the sides of the tub constantly so usually soak her twice a week but it's only for about 10 mins as I feel awful knowing she's not happy in there 😢 I do use a little plastic medicine cup to gently pour all over her shell for most of the time she is in there and when I take her out she hisses at me to let me know she's not happy with me! lol .....so should I soak her more frequently or for longer time? regardless of whether she likes it or not.....I don't want her to not trust me and not come to me anymore.......also she only comes out to eat for a short period most days then goes back to sleeping all day .....is that normal behaviour for a young tort?
Sorry for all the questions but I know the information offered is with good intent
Thanks 😊

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Hello and welcome. Is that Birmingham in the UK, or in USA ? I would suggest you file away the sharp corners of the little chip in his shell, using a nail file - just in case he manages to scratch himself on the shell. It won't get worse, and eventually the inner edges will smooth off. At least, on the plus side, if he should ever escape - as Russians like to do - you will have a way of identifying him !
Angie
Hi Angie
Yes Birmingham UK I may do as u suggest and gently file the sharp edges and I too thought the same thing if she got lost! .....hopefully never!....I've waited all my life for a tortoise and got her in April for my birthday so I would be crushed if I lost her!

Are u UK or USA?

Shal 😀

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
The original post mentioned feeding bananas.
Hi
Yes I mentioned that the TTT state sparingly but I know Russians can't process sugars so don't feed fruits ......and won't be using the banana water either now lol 🤣

Thanks for taking time to read and reply

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hi
Yes I've read the care sheet and am adapting everything as suggested on there. The subrate is Aspen shavings which I thought would be OK as I was recommended at a reptile shop! ....I've been looking into getting some fine grade Orchid bark instead and am due to do a full clean out soon so will change it. Turbo HATES being in the water (unless there is food in there) and scrambles up the sides of the tub constantly so usually soak her twice a week but it's only for about 10 mins as I feel awful knowing she's not happy in there 😢 I do use a little plastic medicine cup to gently pour all over her shell for most of the time she is in there and when I take her out she hisses at me to let me know she's not happy with me! lol .....so should I soak her more frequently or for longer time? regardless of whether she likes it or not.....I don't want her to not trust me and not come to me anymore.......also she only comes out to eat for a short period most days then goes back to sleeping all day .....is that normal behaviour for a young tort?
Sorry for all the questions but I know the information offered is with good intent
Thanks 😊
So, a couple things. . . YES, Soak her more often and longer. Soaking does several things . . you say she doesn't like her soaks, well, soaking keeps your lil tort sufficiently hydrated, and all that climbing while in the soak, is good, it is giving her exercise, both things they hydration and exercise are good for the GI tract. Soak in warm water for 30+ minutes, (Keep the water warm for the whole time) it doesn't necessarily have to be every day, but at least e/o day, and at a level to keep her head comfortably above the water line. As far as only coming out for a short bit to eat, what are the temp's & humidity in her enclosure. Just a couple of things to think about...IMHO

Shally

BIRMINGHAM

Yes that's correct .....but wont be using it now lol

🙂

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
So, a couple things. . . YES, Soak her more often and longer. Soaking does several things . . you say she doesn't like her soaks, well, soaking keeps your lil tort sufficiently hydrated, and all that climbing while in the soak, is good, it is giving her exercise, both things they hydration and exercise are good for the GI tract. Soak in warm water for 30+ minutes, (Keep the water warm for the whole time) it doesn't necessarily have to be every day, but at least e/o day, and at a level to keep her head comfortably above the water line. As far as only coming out for a short bit to eat, what are the temp's & humidity in her enclosure. Just a couple of things to think about...IMHO
OK thanks for that .....I will soak her longer e/o day 👍
Basking is around 90
Cooler side is around 75-80
Humidity is around 50-55
I had real trouble at the beginning with the temps only getting to 84 max ....bought a new thermostat (even though previous one was new) and now it gets much warmer. I have a spray bottle that I spritz with every day and there is always fresh water daily in her water dish.

Any other tips tricks hints or info is greatly welcomed I'm a new torti momma so want to do the right thing.

🙂

Shally

BIRMINGHAM

Hi
Me again
I forgot to ask on my previous reply.....you mentioned putting Lime on plants ....I would be interested in trying this but would I still need to give the calcium on food each day or just the EarthPro supplement?
Thanks 🙂