looking for good basking bulb

Meraa12

Location (City and/or State)
Phelan
Hello Everyone, I am looking for a good basking bulb for my sulcata's enclosure. I cannot buy any flood's sadly because they are not for sell here in California.

I was wondering if these bulbs would do the job?

thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.33.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.33.14 AM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.24.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.24.54 AM.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 10

Meraa12

Phelan
Hello Everyone I am in need to find a basking bulb. I try to look everywhere I cannot seem to find the one everyone is telling me to get "65 watt incandescent flood lamp" I live in California and most cannot deliver to my house. Can i use a spot basking lamp for now?

I am worried about not having a basking light for my tort.

thank you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
This is the same thing and should be able to be sent to you in cali
This one is 100watts, they have other wattage, but you'll have to dig around a bit, or you could get that one and buy a rheostat and then you can tone it down if needed

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
That is brand specific though. Other basking lights won't be the incandescent you need, just a heads up ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
okay! Thank you! I appreciate it!
Np! If it were me I'd get the rheostat too. I have one even though I am still able to get the plain incandescent, but the rheostat lets me not have to change bulbs out every time even though I have smaller watts too just in case lol. I can just slightly turn it down until its in range.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the same thing and should be able to be sent to you in cali
This one is 100watts, they have other wattage, but you'll have to dig around a bit, or you could get that one and buy a rheostat and then you can tone it down if needed
No spot bulbs. They cause pyramiding.

The fix for this is to have someone outside of CA order the bulbs you need on Amazon and list your CA address for shipping. I've have several friends helping me with this problem.

Meraa12

Phelan

The fix for this is to have someone outside of CA order the bulbs you need on Amazon and list your CA address for shipping. I've have several friends helping me with this problem.

Yeah I just asked my friend in Arizona if she could order a 6-pack for me from Home Depot! I got it covered! Thank you!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Have you looked at the ones I linked in post # 3? Incandescent, and not spot. In a dome would they work?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yes. Those could work.
I thought I saw a post where someone got one of those and compared it with a home depot one and it was basically the same thing. Just said fluckers on it. It still says its incandescent on the box... maybe i got the wrong fluckers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought I saw a post where someone got one of those and compared it with a home depot one and it was basically the same thing. Just said fluckers on it. It still says its incandescent on the box... maybe i got the wrong fluckers?
All the ones I've seen marketed for reptiles are "spot" lamps. Including the Flukers and ZooMed ones. They even refer to them as "intense basking spot lamps". We don't want "intense" for tortoises. That causes pyramiding. "Intense" carapace desiccation. We want gentle warmth over a larger area.

This is why the government over stepping their bounds and banning the items we need for our reptiles is a problem. Just one of many problems here. We can no longer buy the items we need to take proper care of our tortoises here in CA. It just ain't right.

Meraa12

Phelan
All the ones I've seen marketed for reptiles are "spot" lamps. Including the Flukers and ZooMed ones. They even refer to them as "intense basking spot lamps". We don't want "intense" for tortoises. That causes pyramiding. "Intense" carapace desiccation. We want gentle warmth over a larger area.

This is why the government over stepping their bounds and banning the items we need for our reptiles is a problem. Just one of many problems here. We can no longer buy the items we need to take proper care of our tortoises here in CA. It just ain't right.

Let's just hope something happens that they become available in CA again.

Meraa12

Phelan