basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
I was testing the temp under the basking spot, it stays around 83-85. this is current temp when the probe of the digital thermometer is below the basking spot.( the distance is 12"-14", with screen cover)
however, when I was using the temp gun, holding it vertically, pointing at basking light, the temp is around 100-115. but when I holding it horizontally, the temp is same as what the digital thermometer measured...
so what should I do? change the light bulb to higher wattage? I am currently using 150W light bulb. I really want the temp goes up to 100 which necessary for tort :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Its always best to not have the screen between the light and the habitat.

You can lower the light so it gets hotter directly under it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A more focused bulb might help too. Try a flood or spot bulb. In my lizard and snake enclosures with screen tops I raise or lower the basking platform to get the right temps. Or change to a different wattage bulb if its that far off. In my tortoise enclosures, this is not an option so I raise or lower the bulb and fixture.

HtVic

5 Year Member
where should I place the probe of the digital thermometer, the higher end of the tank underneath the basking light, or the lower end?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
HtVic said:
where should I place the probe of the digital thermometer, the higher end of the tank underneath the basking light, or the lower end?

The digital thermometer is probably reading the air temperature, while the temp gun only reads surface temperatures.

110 is not an issue as a surface temperature; touch the ground to see if it is hot enough to burn. It's probably warm to the touch, but not scalding hot.

Place the temp probe about where the top of the tortoise's shell would be - tape it to the side of the cage, or dangle it from the screen under the bulb, but ideally it would be about where the top of your tortoise's shell would be if it was directly under the basking light. That temperature reading combined with the temp gun reading should give you a more accurate idea of what temperatures your tortoise is living under.

In addition, keep in mind that the longer you leave the probe under the light, the warmer it will get - I would only leave it directly under the light for 5 to 10 minutes, at most. After that the plastic heats up and can give you a false high temperature.

-Jen

HtVic

5 Year Member
thanks Jen
I just test it like how you taught me, it just can't go up to 90, I think I'll change to a 100w Halogen light bulb, becuase the one I am having is 150W intense asking spot light by exo terra. it states obviously that if the light hangs 18" or above will have temp of 83F. just same as the temp I have now...

HtVic

5 Year Member
I have zoo med temp gun, I think it only measures the surface temp, not the air temp

Status
Not open for further replies.