Basking platform ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Anyone will to share your ideas/pics for a good basking area? Like a dork I bought a floating turtle ramp for my RES and she is way too big for it...sinks like a rock. lol! I definitely want to build it myself, I think. I have her in a 55 gallon glass aquarium and was thinking of using tile if it wouldn't be too heavy.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
We did a ATBA. He loves it. I need to add more background but I hate working with the stuff.
I made mine out of plexi glass.

DSC_0009.jpg

_DSC0016.jpg

_DSC0014.jpg

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Very cool, Kathy! I like that! Definitely have to show it to my hubby. And I agree, that background is no fun to work with. lol!

Thanks for sharing! And that's a very pretty turtle you have. :D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I kept some smaller RES in college and made a resting place for them out of floral styrofoam. I cut it like a ramp and then wedged it between the sides of the tank with some of the ramp under water so they could swim up and either hang there or climb on out. it worked well and was very cheap.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Greg T said:
I kept some smaller RES in college and made a resting place for them out of floral styrofoam. I cut it like a ramp and then wedged it between the sides of the tank with some of the ramp under water so they could swim up and either hang there or climb on out. it worked well and was very cheap.

Thanks, Greg! When I had my two previous RES we used a styrofoam floating thing and also used one of those suction cup turtle ramps. They worked really well with my hatchlings. My new RES is really, really big though (I added a pic) and sinks everything so far. I think above the tank is going to be the best bet for us. Plus I'd kind of like to come another turtle...maybe a yellow bellied slider...so she has a buddy and above tank would save me tons of room.

Kristina said:
I have an above tank basking area for my DBT.

KristinasPictures3982.jpg

KristinasPictures3984.jpg

KristinasPictures3986.jpg

Thanks, Kristina! That's a very nice setup and doesn't look too hard to build.

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 36

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was always partial to driftwood!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have used 1/4" mesh hardware cloth (painted) with good success.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
I was always partial to driftwood!

You know, I had this really cool, really big piece of driftwood and I can't find it! I'm really hoping it's in storage. We've moved three times since we owned our last RES and I can only find about half of my turtle stuff.

I ended up going to the local hardware store and finding this pantry shelf thing that fit perfectly into the end of the tank. I put some tiles on top for her to bask on and then she can go under it to hide. It's not nearly as nice as an above tank, but for the few dollars it cost me it will work perfectly until we get built.

Thanks so much for all of the replies! :D

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
I made an above the tank basking area with plexiglass, I hope the pic works...

Attachments

• image-1482604656.png
    image-1482604656.png
    544.7 KB · Views: 126
  • image-50995259.png
    image-50995259.png
    501 KB · Views: 108

bellyboo

5 Year Member
WallieTheTortoise said:
I made an above the tank basking area with plexiglass, I hope the pic works...

That's a very nice setup! I'd like to do an above tank. This may be dumb, but what did you use to seal the plexiglass together in the corners?

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
bellyboo said:
That's a very nice setup! I'd like to do an above tank. This may be dumb, but what did you use to seal the plexiglass together in the corners?

The first one I made for her 10 gallon tank, I used a glass sealant....I just went to the hardware store and asked. For me, It didn't work out so well because it wouldn't hold, and I ended up using tape. For the 55 gallon tank, I actually used those regular glue gun glues (non toxic). It works fantastic! But I read to not let it touch water because it makes it kind of slimy, but then again, if it's above the water basking area, you don't have to worry about that.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
WallieTheTortoise said:
bellyboo said:

The first one I made for her 10 gallon tank, I used a glass sealant....I just went to the hardware store and asked. For me, It didn't work out so well because it wouldn't hold, and I ended up using tape. For the 55 gallon tank, I actually used those regular glue gun glues (non toxic). It works fantastic! But I read to not let it touch water because it makes it kind of slimy, but then again, if it's above the water basking area, you don't have to worry about that.

Really? I might have to try that! Thanks so much!!!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
I think I'd kind of like to do something like this

baski.jpg

Two questions....

1) Would there be any way for the turtle to climb out? It almost looks to me like she might fall.

2) What do I use to glue on those rocks?

Thanks!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would have the actual platform be shorter than the sides, like in the pictures of the one I built. (It was really easy, just remember to use untreated wood and stainless steel screws and hardware so it won't rust.)

As far as gluing the rocks in place, 100% silicone.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
I would have the actual platform be shorter than the sides, like in the pictures of the one I built. (It was really easy, just remember to use untreated wood and stainless steel screws and hardware so it won't rust.)

As far as gluing the rocks in place, 100% silicone.

Sweet! Thank you so much for your help. I was going to wait until I had the hubby to help me, but I think I'll attempt this over the weekend. :D

Thanks again!

I just looked the pics again, yes, I definitely want my sides more like yours. Don't need anyone falling out! You said the wood needs to be untreated. So does that mean I don't need to put any waterproofing stuff on it? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question. When I had my RES before they were small enough for commercial basking spots, but Holly is over 8" and almost 2lbs. She sunk hers like a rock! So this is kind of new to me.

Thanks again! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I didn't put anything on it. I figure the ramp will have to be replaced eventually, but I was being cheap at the time, lol.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Seriously giving myself a headache over this stupid basking platform. :p

Ok...first question. Lighting. If I only have a UVB light covering half the aquarium and it's approx 10" above the aquarium is that enough light? I really like the idea of having the top half of my aquarium the basking area and surrounding the entire top, but I'm so worried my lighting won't be enough.

Secondly, my handiess is questionable and wood is just not working quite the way I had hoped. If I go with plexiglass like Kathy posted how do I get it to hook in the corners?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Silicone again would probably be your best bet.

As far as light, I have a basking light over the basking platform, and then just a regular florescent hanging over the rest of the aquarium.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
i took 1/2 in. PVC pipe, adjusted the length for the water level took some cut stone for the actual platform and got some plexi glass and glued by using silicone [someone else mentioned the idea] on rocks [pebbles] and got fake plants and wrapped them around the legs

Status
Not open for further replies.