Basking temperature in closed chamber for Leo hatchlings

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oneonta NY
I just redid my closed chamber and the ceiling is 22 inches from the substrate. I have a mega-ray basking mercury vapor bulb 100 watt. I have the fixture as high up as it can go and the flat slate stone under the bulb reads 115 F with my heat gun! I have not put the tortoises in yet. I did a search and others say 95-100 is best. Do you think a different fixture would change anything? I'm using a silver ceramic socket fixture that you would get at a farm store for baby chicks. Since I can't raise the lamp and they do not make a bulb smaller than 100 watts. Any help would be appreciated. The 115 F is only directly in the center the rest of the stone is 105F. I am using four 34" arcadia D3+ High output bulbs in the t5 HO fixtures. Should I just skip the mercury vapor bulb and get a 65 watt flood bulb for basking? my enclosure is 4'x8'. Thanks in advance.

mikeh

5 Year Member
You are fine with higher basking temp as the 4x8 layout will offer plenty of cooler area.

The ground in direct sunlight easily reaches or exceeds 115F. I often see my leopard walking across ground in access of 130F.

The top of the fixture will get very hot. Too close to the ceiling is a fire hazard.

Would like to see some photos of the set up and configuration of your UVB fixtures.

PS: great choices of UVB light brands.

Trevor Ostrander

5 Year Member
Oneonta NY
Thank you all for your replies.
Try just removing the piece of slate
I was using the stone to give me an idea how it would warm the tortoise. I think Tom mentioned that. I may have misunderstood though.
You are fine with higher basking temp as the 4x8 layout will offer plenty of cooler area.

The ground in direct sunlight easily reaches or exceeds 115F. I often see my leopard walking across ground in access of 130F.

The top of the fixture will get very hot. Too close to the ceiling is a fire hazard.

Would like to see some photos of the set up and configuration of your UVB fixtures.

PS: great choices of UVB light brands.
Mikeh,
  • I will post pictures soon. I had to do a total overhaul on my chamber because it started growing mold. It is made of cabinet grade ply wood. Floor space is 4'x8' with 24" sides and a top. down the center length wise there are four ceramic fixtures three with CHE and one with a 100 watt mega ray. behind them and in front of them are two each of the 34" T5 HO. They are actually on their way as we speak so I don't have them installed yet. The leo's are outside and in a 55 gallon long as their temporary home. The front is made of two pieces of plexi glass on a sliding tract. The CHE are controlled with temperature controllers. The chamber is sealed with water based polyurethane and corners with bathroom silicone caulk. Hope it doesn't mold again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, a basking rock/slate is not a bad thing, but if temps are too high because of it, then you don't need one. I have never used one, but the ground/substrate under the light still gets warm, just not as hot as a rock will