Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I have my UVB and UVA lights on about 8-10 hours a day but most of the time by baby stars are sleeping in their hiding boxes. They dont come out that muct to bask, is it normal? Otherwise they are eating well and in perfect shape.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
Hey there!...indian na??

Parth here..

My baby star and a juvenile sit most of the time under the basking lamp..

Try this..

Put a flat rock under the basking lamp
and feed them a little less (dont starve them) to make them more active.

Hope your problems get solved..

Byee..

Contact me for any problems..

samstar

5 Year Member
jhaparth2006 said:
Hey there!...indian na??

Parth here..

My baby star and a juvenile sit most of the time under the basking lamp..

Try this..

Put a flat rock under the basking lamp
and feed them a little less (dont starve them) to make them more active.

Hope your problems get solved..

Byee..

Contact me for any problems..

Thanks for the tip, will try it out.

S

stells

I have found from personal experience that baby stars only bask for the time they need to and then they go back off to hide where its safe... and actually prefer the light levels a little lower than you would expect... i have made my enclosure a tad bit (not alot) darker than it was and have found them to be much more active... as said this is just my experience with my babies... not me saying thats what you should do ;) :)

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I just put 2 small bathroom tiles under the basking light in the tub and hope to see them bask more often. I did put them under direct sunlight last weekend and they went crazy, kept walking around in the tub. Realised that they didn't like it so I brought the tub back into my home.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If you do put a stone under the basking light, ensure it doesn't get too hot on the surface as they cannot feel the heat from below and can get burned (take an accurate temperature). I suggest placing a hide right next to the basking area. My hatchling will spend most of his day in the very warm hide, and go between his food in the medium temperature area and basking. The hide will make hatchlings feel more safe to bask as they can quickly retreat. I would place their favorite hide across the entire enclosure from the food, with the basking in the middle or similar so they explore quite a bit as they go about the day. Want to provide enclosure pictures? Best wishes.

samstar

5 Year Member
Just checked the tiles today, it is warm, not hot but it is warm. is that ok? Like your garden grass on a sunny hot day.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
If you do put a stone under the basking light, ensure it doesn't get too hot on the surface as they cannot feel the heat from below and can get burned (take an accurate temperature). I suggest placing a hide right next to the basking area. My hatchling will spend most of his day in the very warm hide, and go between his food in the medium temperature area and basking. The hide will make hatchlings feel more safe to bask as they can quickly retreat. I would place their favorite hide across the entire enclosure from the food, with the basking in the middle or similar so they explore quite a bit as they go about the day. Want to provide enclosure pictures? Best wishes.

Here you go, I put the tiles after I took this photo. It's warm on the tile but not hot.

samstar

5 Year Member
Checked mine this morning and they were both basking on the tiles. They usually bask early and off and on throughout the rest of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.