Bathing, Hibernation, & Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
Are you supposed to bathe a Russian tortoise? I brought mine to a vet who technically treats reptiles but doesn't really specialize so she wasn't much help.

I've read a lot of articles that the RT hibernates, but I still always get really nervous when mine does. He stops eating and basking for about 3-5 weeks and then goes back to normal habits. But now it's been about 2 months since he came OUT of hibernation and he stopped eating again. Is he okay? Should I be worried?

He's also in a 40 gallon terrarium, is that big enough?

🐢 Samantha (RT: Harvey)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Harvey_Vladimir said:
Are you supposed to bathe a Russian tortoise? I brought mine to a vet who technically treats reptiles but doesn't really specialize so she wasn't much help.

I've read a lot of articles that the RT hibernates, but I still always get really nervous when mine does. He stops eating and basking for about 3-5 weeks and then goes back to normal habits. But now it's been about 2 months since he came OUT of hibernation and he stopped eating again. Is he okay? Should I be worried?

He's also in a 40 gallon terrarium, is that big enough?

I don't know much about hibernation so I will let someone else comment on that part, but I will give my suggestions on soaking and your cage. For starters, how old and what size is your Russian? Soaking your tortoise is always beneficial so it wouldn't hurt to do it, especially if your tortoise was hibernating and could possibly be dehydrated. 40 gallons would be ok for a hatchling, but Russians need a lot is space and do much better in large enclosures, so I would definately give your guy some more room. He will be much happier and more active. As far as the not eating goes, what have you been offering him and exactly how long as it been since he stopped eating?

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, USA
I bathe mine in hot water for 20-30 mins everyday. She does her duty there so it's nice for no messes. Then she drinks and stays hydrated this way as well. As for the tank, I have a 2x4 and get ragged on about it not being big enough. So I'm sure you'll get MANY suggestions about making it bigger, and they'll say for it to be outside if possible. If your tort is inside I would say build a table, most suggest a book case without the shelves. Coco coir is my substrate and I allow enough so that she may cover herself.

As for the tank, do you have heat and a UVB lamp? Water?

Edit : I forgot to mention that because mine is inside I do not allow for brumation. So I am no help there. But I believe that as long as you keep temps up and light bright your tort will not hibernate.

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
When I got him no one was able to tell me his age, but I've had him about 3 years.

I feed him a variety of greens, mostly: endive; kale; collards; chicory; and escarole.

Yes I have both a heat and UVB lamp. I give him fresh water every day.

He goes through periods of not eating but I don't remember them ever being so close together before (3-4 months apart). He hasn't been eating for about 1-2 weeks.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
And the temps are?

As far as my tort goes and what I've heard from others, most Russians tend to eat a lot so him not eating sounds concerning to me.

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
I changed the lights about a month ago and temp is around 85.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
All the time?
This is what I've read and been told so take it or leave it. Cool side 70-75 basking point at 95-100 and night temps 65-70.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Is 85 his basking or overall?

Also, I'd give him a nice 30 minute soak and see if he poops.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
taytay3391 said:
All the time?
This is what I've read and been told so take it or leave it. Cool side 70-75 basking point at 95-100 and night temps 65-70.

These are the temps you want to aim closer to. 85 isn't hot enough for basking. He may not be warm enough. Boost the temps and start soaking and an increase in appetite will likely follow.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would add a CHE or try tinkering with your current lighting and see if you can reach desired temps. Does your 40 have a screen on top? What types and watts of bulbs are you currently using?

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
Yes it has a screen.

I think the heat lamp is 100W and I'm not sure about the UVB bulb.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If the UV/heat light source is over the screen, this will block out UV and some heat. Take the screen away and position the light so the bulb is 12" away from the top of the tortoise's shell.
Or add a low wattage CHE (on a thermostat would be great to avoid overheating).

Russians need a basking area of 95f or so. If it doesn't get this warm, they can't digest well.
They also need a cool side of about 70f, or they will burrow away to try to cool off.
They also seem to be more active when the night temps go even lower. This temp differential night and day seems to make them more active overall.
If the enclosure is too small, it can be difficult to achieve these temps.

Russians are wanderers. In the wild, they cover acres in one day. That is why we always mention making the enclosures as large as you can.
While it is not always possible, they do seem happiest when outside, but a good indoor enclosure will work well too with the right conditions.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Night time temp should be between 58 and 65, and even lower is okay for them. 85 is definitely not high enough basking temp, and a 40 gallon is not big enough for a 3 year old tortoise. Russians don't need to brumate, and whether you do or don't is all up to you.

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
Does anyone have suggestions on where to buy/how to build a larger structure? Dimensions???

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
The first question is how much space can you give to your tortoise? Give us that information and we can give you advice on how to make a great enclosure to fit in that space.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
Two 40 or 50 + gallon tanks, cut a hole tape together is a suggestion

Build one, I did just bought some wood from Home Depot, nailed it together and put plastic down so the wood doesn't get moldy or weird.

Bookshelf without the shelves is about the same as above but you don't have to do the work.

Harvey_Vladimir

5 Year Member
I'm sure of specific dimensions because he'd have to stay in my bedroom.

If I buy or make one out if wood, won't it mold and be very difficult to keep clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.