Battle of wills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
O.k. so Its been too cool out to take bert outside. He has been house bound for 4 days. and hasnt gone poop in 4 days! I soaked him this morning and nothing. (he has never gone to the bathroom when i soak him). I am now giving him greens only, no veggies and no fruit in hopes a bland diet will help. I will soak him agian this afternoon and agian later.
What else can i do? is there something i can give him that will act like a laxitive? some kind of veggie or friut? I got him a little pumpkin i wanted to give him a little, but not if it makes things worse.
Or should i just stop worryong, keep soaking 3 times a day and eventually he will go? His appitite is good, he is drinking and was rather active the other day. eyes look good and clear, nose is good and clear.
I swaer he is almost acting like he is pouting cause he cant go out! what gives?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I've heard that tomatos will loosen things up,but I've never tried them. Could it be that he is eating his poop when you aren't around? Redfoots are notorious for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can try a little pumpkin or aloe.

Also, when you do your soak use warm water and leave him in there for an hour or so. Usually after a few minutes they will decide that they are done being in the water and start marching to get out. If you use your bath tub and let him try to march up the sides for a while it will get things moving in there. This will also let you keep warming up the water. Tortoises are kind of like horses in that locomotion helps move things through the intestinal tract. Let him try to walk up the slippery sides of the tub for a while and soon he'll be walking in "tortoise soup".

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
jackrat said:
I've heard that tomatos will loosen things up,but I've never tried them. Could it be that he is eating his poop when you aren't around? Redfoots are notorious for it.
Thats what i hear, but i am home All day. my computer is in the same room as he is, so i am in there alot. I have found an ocassional wet spot, but nothing more.

Tom said:
You can try a little pumpkin or aloe.

Also, when you do your soak use warm water and leave him in there for an hour or so. Usually after a few minutes they will decide that they are done being in the water and start marching to get out. If you use your bath tub and let him try to march up the sides for a while it will get things moving in there. This will also let you keep warming up the water. Tortoises are kind of like horses in that locomotion helps move things through the intestinal tract. Let him try to walk up the slippery sides of the tub for a while and soon he'll be walking in "tortoise soup".
now horses I get! :) had them for many years. so its kinda funny i am being out smarted by something a fraction of their size!
I let him roam around the family room for about an hour in hopes of something, but nothing.
So, the bathtub. O.K. for an hour. He is takeing a nap now from his adventure discovering every inch of the family room so we'll try it this afternoon.
I used to give my dog canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling just the regular) and it did wonders for her. I bought a little pie pumpkin i was going to cut up aand try that too. is there much diffrence between the two> does it matter?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Red foots need fruit in thier diets more then others right?
I would think that would get stuff moving..

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
sara said:
I let him roam around the family room for about an hour in hopes of something, but nothing.

Letting them roam around on the floor in the house is never a good idea. They can eat things they shouldn't and generally it's cooler than you want them to be at.

It could be part of the issue, and maybe he ate something he shouldn't have. Just a thought anyways

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you do the bath tub thing and he seems like he's on a mission, almost a sense of urgency, that's what you want. Some people freak out and think they are stressing, but its kind of like putting a colicing horse on a hot-walker. He needs to get moving and that will usually do it. Just don't let the water get chilled. I usually warm it up every 5-10 minutes.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I know people freak out about their torts getting cold but if you let him bask for awhile then take him out for even a 10 minute stroll outside, its not gonna hurt him. I have a three year old sulcata that goes out when its raining and i let him graze for 10 minutes or more until i pick him up and he actually feels like he's getting colder. I suggest letting him outside for a bit and see what he does.

But Aloe does work, or car rides work also. But those are traditionally saved for times when you think they are impacted. Do your routine and i think he'll be fine.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
well, i did the soak thing in the bath tub, changeing the water often to keep it warm. he did march around and was doing the "let me out" thing, but we got nothing. he did a pee, but thats it. I guess we will try it agian tomorrow morning. Now he is mad and is in his corner.

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally think we are too concerned with poop. Most humans are not as concerned with poop as are Sulcata/tortoise keepers. I agree with Tom in that you put him in the bathtub and then kinda forget he's in there. After a bit he will start trying to get out and in a bit he'll poop. But I also have trouble pooping and being in the bathtub does nothing for my lack of pooping problem. :D Maybe he just hasn't needed to poop. Bob sometimes goes a few days without poopin. Anyhow, the bathtub routine will fix his problem...for sure!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
reptylefreek said:
I know people freak out about their torts getting cold but if you let him bask for awhile then take him out for even a 10 minute stroll outside, its not gonna hurt him. I have a three year old sulcata that goes out when its raining and i let him graze for 10 minutes or more until i pick him up and he actually feels like he's getting colder. I suggest letting him outside for a bit and see what he does.

But Aloe does work, or car rides work also. But those are traditionally saved for times when you think they are impacted. Do your routine and i think he'll be fine.
but its been like 4 days! my husband keeps telling me to stop worrying and that he will go. But after having horses for so many years, well, i expect things to run smoothly. If my horses didnt poop like they were supposed too, that menet something was bad, and in horses that can be very serious. So I guess i still think the same way with Bert.
We'll try agian tomorrow.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I have the solution: if you think its more a blockage then a stress problem i would try a little mineral oil. I have a tort who didnt go for more then two weeks when i first got her. I thought for sure it was a blockage and i squirted a little mineral oil into her mouth and the next day she went. You could tell the oil got to her because her stool was oily. If its a normal sized stool and you dont notice any pushing or discomfort when he goes then he might just be stressed out. And it the case of stress, i also recommend soaks. But i really recommend letting him outside for a bit if thats the normal thing for him. I know he might not be the biggest thing (no sulcata) but i bet he doesn't lose heat as fast as you think. Try it tomorrow. Just get him good and warm and then let him stroll for like 10-30 minutes. Hope he feels better

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Only 4 days? Big whoop. Tortoise/reptile digestions work about 1/2 the speed of mammal digestions, and greens digest slower than fruit or meat. Digestion is also assisted by warmth- what are your temps like?

Offer some sweet fruit, pumpkin, or something and give it a couple more days. If the behavior is good, I would not sweat it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I personally have never considered pooping a battle of wills.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I also would not worry. Very high chance the tort has pooped and either eaten it or hidden it. Even if the tort hasn't pooped, they get off their schedule sometimes. I would not soak more than once a day but feeding foods that may help is fine. I think one of the reasons torts poop in the soak is due to stress (like my tort always poops at the vet!). My tort has never pooped while going into the water on his own accord.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Seiryu said:
sara said:

Letting them roam around on the floor in the house is never a good idea. They can eat things they shouldn't and generally it's cooler than you want them to be at.

It could be part of the issue, and maybe he ate something he shouldn't have. Just a thought anyways
I only did the twice and he was already not going. Before i did that i vacumed and removed anything he would eat off the floor. plus i watched him and crawled around with him. I didnt want him getting under the couch..

reptylefreek said:
I have the solution: if you think its more a blockage then a stress problem i would try a little mineral oil. I have a tort who didnt go for more then two weeks when i first got her. I thought for sure it was a blockage and i squirted a little mineral oil into her mouth and the next day she went. You could tell the oil got to her because her stool was oily. If its a normal sized stool and you dont notice any pushing or discomfort when he goes then he might just be stressed out. And it the case of stress, i also recommend soaks. But i really recommend letting him outside for a bit if thats the normal thing for him. I know he might not be the biggest thing (no sulcata) but i bet he doesn't lose heat as fast as you think. Try it tomorrow. Just get him good and warm and then let him stroll for like 10-30 minutes. Hope he feels better
two weeks?! Now thats what i needed to hear! Now i dont feel as bad ( but still feel for him) but 2 weeks! really? See he is still eating and when not snoozing, hes pretty active. But i hope we can clear this up sooner. O.K. The temps are starting to drop outside. it only got to 58. I was takeing him out everyday for about an hour when it was warmer. today should be a little warmer, so he's gonna get a saok this morning and play time outside, with aome yummy friut. that outta work!

Madkins007 said:
Only 4 days? Big whoop. Tortoise/reptile digestions work about 1/2 the speed of mammal digestions, and greens digest slower than fruit or meat. Digestion is also assisted by warmth- what are your temps like?

Offer some sweet fruit, pumpkin, or something and give it a couple more days. If the behavior is good, I would not sweat it.
His overall box temps are between 80-85, but he has a uvb lamp on all day he likes to bask in off and on, and at night i have the heat lamp on. He is under that for1/2 the night and by morning he is on the otherside in his corner. He has a hide, but likes to use that in the day and his corner at night. He has out grown the hise, he is getting a new one today.
should i offer his usual greens with fruit? or just fruit? I alway give him greens but alternate mixing in fruit and veggies everyother day.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Just a side note that I (and many other people) recommend never letting your tort roam the house. Many other issues besides accidental ingestion, such as low temps (the floor is drafty), your tort won't be happy being enclosed after the taste of freedom, pets or even being stepped on, and just not feeling secure (if the tort runs like crazy and then hides under something, that is a normal reaction in that they are looking for a safe place to hide, not that they are happy getting exercise). Something to think about, as we just want the best for your tortoise. Good luck with the poop thing! I would just let things take their own course.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
tortoisenerd said:
Just a side note that I (and many other people) recommend never letting your tort roam the house. Many other issues besides accidental ingestion, such as low temps (the floor is drafty), your tort won't be happy being enclosed after the taste of freedom, pets or even being stepped on, and just not feeling secure (if the tort runs like crazy and then hides under something, that is a normal reaction in that they are looking for a safe place to hide, not that they are happy getting exercise). Something to think about, as we just want the best for your tortoise. Good luck with the poop thing! I would just let things take their own course.
I didnt think about him not wanting to back into his box if he gets used to roaming. That makes sence. But with the weather getting cold now and i cant take him out, I thought it would be good exorcise for him to be able to roam around in one room. Well, i guess he prefers to just nap and eat for now anyway. Better than risking a nasty cold.
Guess my husband will have to make a BIGGER box! :)

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I agree with NERD about them not wanting back in there enclosure but i think letting them roam around a room once in awhile is not that bad idea. I do it when its cold outside, but I never let him outa my sight because my tort loves hair and crap off the floor. They will get cold but when he gets cold put him back. You REALLY REALLY REALLY have to keep a close eye on him though. Thats just my opinion.

I live in Washington and if I never took my torts outside cuz it was cold, I would never get to take them out lol...

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
reptylefreek said:
I agree with NERD about them not wanting back in there enclosure but i think letting them roam around a room once in awhile is not that bad idea. I do it when its cold outside, but I never let him outa my sight because my tort loves hair and crap off the floor. They will get cold but when he gets cold put him back. You REALLY REALLY REALLY have to keep a close eye on him though. Thats just my opinion.

I live in Washington and if I never took my torts outside cuz it was cold, I would never get to take them out lol...
Well that sounds like a good idea. A happy medium:)

Status
Not open for further replies.