BAY TORTOISES

phoebes15

Location (City and/or State)
hull
Hi my name is phoebe and i am a new tortoises owner. I was wondering if anyone knows if i should get a 5 week old Russian tortoises and if its safe ?

Thanks for the help phoebe15.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's safe if you know the proper way to house it and know that as an adult, it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
It's also safe if the breeder start the tortoise out correctly.
Read the caresheet for Russians in the Mediterranean section and see if you can accommodate it's requirements.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It's safe if you know the proper way to house it and know that as an adult, it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
It's also safe if the breeder start the tortoise out correctly.
Read the caresheet for Russians in the Mediterranean section and see if you can accommodate its requirements.
I Second everything wellington has said here and want to expand by saying to bear in mind, raising a hatchling can be a lot trickier than having an established adult, especially if tortoise care is all new to you. I completely understand wanting to raise your own baby though, just please do lots of research here and be prepared, I’d recommend having a set up, up and running before getting a baby. Also be VERY wary of some of the misinformation out there on their care, this forum is this absolute best place to be! Reptile stores and a lot of breeders just want to make a sale.
Anything you get set up wise wouldn’t hurt to run by on here before purchase👍🏻
Welcome to the forum!🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi my name is phoebe and i am a new tortoises owner. I was wondering if anyone knows if i should get a 5 week old Russian tortoises and if its safe ?

Is it "safe"? What do you mean? Are you asking if that is too young for them to go to a new home? Generally not if the new home is set up correctly.

Take some time to read through both of these thoroughly so you will understand what is needed. You are likely to get terrible advice from the breeder, pet shops, and even vets. Questions are welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I don't understand what you mean by "bay" tortoises??