Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Everyone ~

This isn't about food or diet, but since I did not see a tab marked medical, I figure I'll put this posting here..?

Anyways, Snortie Tortie looked as tho she were getting a cold (not sure if our weeks of crap weather had anything to do with such or not), and since I was getting another lil' cutie, I gathered up all 3 (separately, of course) and took them to a new vet that was recommended to me here in T.O.

Well, both MR. Sweeetheart & Snortie Tort have respiratory infections. The Doc gave me 4 syringes for each and altho I've done it before, I hate giving tort's a shot in their forearms!! 'Specially when they are little as it is hard to keep their lil' front arms out or still... Does anyone have any suggestions about giving tort's a shot of Baytril?

Oh, and the Doc called yesterday to see how they are doing; they're okay, but not has active as usual. Then he tells me the fecal tests came back positive for pinworms; Oh geez! :( Something else too?!

It was embarassing, but I had to explain to the Doc that our first vet bill (choke, cough, $291.58 cough, cough) was much more than I had expected; leaving me seriously 'broked', and so I would not be able to bring them in for the first deworming session until I got a child support check.

I'm rather bummed, as it just seems like nothing, lately, has been easy.. and I freaking hate being broked! (I've got a little over a dollar in change in my pocketbook & about 1/4 a tank of gas... whine, whine, whine, as I give a pathetic smile)

Anyways, any suggestions on my shot giving requirements/needs would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and Robbie, when you see this, lemme know if there is a way to get the de-worming med's inexpensively (that you might know about..?)

Thanx peeps,
Purpod

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
For worming get some Safegard (fenbendazole) from a farm supply store, you'll find it in the livestock/horse section. The dosage is 10-25 mg/kg orally for 3 to 5 days. Then after 10 days repeat this dosage. This a safe wormer. Be sure you get fenbendazole not ivermectin.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Larry ~

Thanx for the info on the de-worming meds.. there is a feed store not too far away in Simi Valley and I'm betting they have everything. I will be sure to get the fenbendazole, altho, may I ask why you said to stay away from the other?

I really appreciate your feedback; thanx!
Purpod

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ivermectin is deadly to turtles and tortoises. I say in case the salesperson gives it to you (it is a wormer used in livestock to kill both round worm type parasites and botfly larvae).

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Gotcha, Larry ~

I've never been one to stomache such things, and all I can say is 'eww'!
Thanx again,

Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Colleen: Baytril really stings and the tortoises HATE those injections. If at all possible, you can give the same dosage in food instead. I usually inject it into a piece of moistened Mazuri. You just have to make sure that the tortoise eats the whole piece to receive the correct dose. The injectible Baytril is ok to give orally. You can also mix one part Baytril to 9 parts sterile saline and flush it nasally.

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Yvonne ~

Thanx a bunch for the suggestions; yeah, I was going to inject it very slowly, so as to minimizes the sting of it, but putting it into something for them to eat sounds much better, lol! It's so hard to make them give you their arms when they scrunch down tight inside their shells. I don't have any "Mazuri"; any other suggestiopns ? and I'm wide open to them!

Thanx again, Dearheart ~
Purpod

emysemys said:
Hi Colleen: Baytril really stings and the tortoises HATE those injections. If at all possible, you can give the same dosage in food instead. I usually inject it into a piece of moistened Mazuri. You just have to make sure that the tortoise eats the whole piece to receive the correct dose. The injectible Baytril is ok to give orally. You can also mix one part Baytril to 9 parts sterile saline and flush it nasally.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I inject a strawberry with the correct dosage and so far it has worked out good. There's not one Sulcata walkin this great Earth who could resist a strawberry...not a one...
and oh BTW you pull out a teeny arm and press your finger against his elbow, this works perfectly and nobody has trouble with it...good luck!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
You ROCK Maggs, thanx a bunch for your ideas too ~

Thanx to everyone who has made a contribution.
Blessings!
Purpod, MR. Sweeetheart, Snortie Tortie & Mr. Leopheart

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sorry to hear your little ones are sick Purpod, Good luck and please, keep us updated :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Purpod, Sorry to hear MR. Sweeetheart, Snortie Tortie & Mr. Leopheart have URI and pinworms. Now I just know they had to follow in Biggies footsteps with the pinworms. LOL.

Maggie has great advice on the elbow trick. It works every time, well for little ones anyway.

Larry gave good advice on the worm meds. Ivermectin is the same stuff in the heartworm meds my dogs get. (heartshield) and that is why you don’t want your tort to eat any dog or cat poo as their poo will carry the ivermectin and if the torts eat the poo they will not survive.

My vet gave Pancur and I didn't have to take the torts in they just gave me the meds and the syringe to get it down them (no needle) and what dosage which one got. The meds cost me $18.00 I know at a time like this that can sound like $1800.00. Sorry things are tight for you right now. I am sure they will do fine until you can get them dewormed.
And I think you are right I think it's this crazy weather. Cold one day hot the next dry one day damp the next. Seems we never know what it's going to do.

I will have all of you in my prayers and thoughts. Be well friend.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aww be blessed my Purpod friend ! Sending many blessings to the sick babies, will hold thumbs and pray they are ok :) Keep up the great work!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Salutations to All ~

And many thanx too, for the suggestions and prayers! Snortie Tortie is not fairing well; she is very lethargic when indoors (& of course, today is another overcast day!) lil' MR. Sweeetheart is doing about the same; he is still roaming about, etc..

No big changes thus far. Today is another shot day too; I'm gonna try tempting Snortie Tortie with the med's inside the food and hope it works.
I'll keep checking in here and there to letcha'll know how things are progressing.

Blessings to all,
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Purpod. It may take a while to see a change.
For your torts: (Not that you don't already know this)
Temps raised about 5 degrees will help the Baytril do its job better and quicker.
It will also put them off their feed-no appetite-so offering their favorites can help them eat.
Keep them well hydrated. I used a warm air humidifier and soaks.
For yourself:
Keep calm.
Drink plenty of fluids, For you any of your favorites will do. Maybe a Henrys ;)
Take a deep breath, and update when you can.

Prayers for you all, for a speedy recovery my friend. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Robbie ~

Yes, I had already upped the heat a bit, as I figured that might help everyone stay more comfy during this trial ~ It never dawned on me that it might help the baytril work better, duh! Even when you think I might know something, please make your suggestions anyways; I have complete trust in your comments and am grateful for your knowledge that you always give so freely, my friend!

Okie, for the update; MR. Sweeetheart, altho he's surely mad when we finish with our bath and the baytril shots, is certainly getting stronger; little turd pinched me with his back foot today during his bath! LOL.

As for Snortie Tortie, she is much easier to bath all the way and to give the shot to; she trusts me more than our little Sweeetheart. However, she seems more lethargic than does her male counterpart. After her shots, she was just trying to stay laying about the tortie town... so I prod her along a bit, moving her back out and about.

All 5 doses have been given to both, and thru-out, neither of them stopped doing their biz... it was much more runny and gross in the beginning, but is now formed well, and so apparently, internally they are doing good, I guess. I sure hate giving them shots, and am glad it's over with and they seem much better.

Of course, now there is still the problem of the pin worms, which I will need to drive to Simi to get the de-worming meds that have been suggested here.. I'm gonna try to do this part myself to avoid another $300. vet bill, so an suggestions or comments on the deworming will be greatly appreciated!!

I still have Sir Leopheart in isolation; he is an outgoing fellow, 'cept when I try to give him a full bath, lol, but he will get used to it eventually.. shoot, Snortie Tortie sticks her legs straight out so that she can get the 'massage' with her torth brush (Tooth/tort brush), lol. She can be a little 'high society' tort, lol, but when it comes down to it, she is very loving and funny :p

As for me? LOL, I've got a 10 year old spoiled daughter who wants entertained, a 17 year old son who is (uncharacteristically) acting like a 17 year old, and the last 4 weeks of my BA to get thru.... AGGGGHHHH! as Charlie Brown would say, lol. Still hanging in there, of course, but I must admit to wondering, what happen to the simpler times..? LOL

Anyways, thanx again, everyone, for your kindnesses!!
Purpod, Snortie Tortie, MR. Sweeetheart & Sir Leopheart :p

Status
Not open for further replies.