baytril injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracyj

5 Year Member
I'm Tracy in Southwest Ohio. I found your forum because I have a sick yellow-footed tortoise. He was diagnosed with a RI by an exotic vet on Feb. 7 and I took him back every other day for Amikacin injections. They showed me how to inject on the scaly part of his front leg near the elbow. I bent the needle in my attempts so had the vet do it thereafter. He had a follow-up Feb. 21st where it was obvious he was still sick. Vet said maybe he had a secondary infection so prescribed baytril daily injections and said that works 99% of the time when the Amikacin doesn't. Also found for first time he had a live worm in the stool so he was dewormed. Vet was continuing to give injections. I asked for injection retraining on Day 3 of baytril. This time tech was giving in the smoother skin between the neck and where the scaly part starts. That I can do. He seemed to perk up, but I just did Day 4 and 5 baytril injections this weekend and he's going downhill. Today I noticed a drop of clear fluid at the injection site after I pulled it out. Also today he pooped and I think I saw a worm wiggling in it (gross!) Should I return to the vet for the rest of the injections (would it make any difference) or should I just continue on my own and accept that I have a sick tortoise that may still die? (I'd be OK, just trying to be a responsible owner here).
I've been giving him Tobramycin drops in his eyes and nostrils every day since Feb. 7th too. Getting difficult today since his one eye wasn't opening despite being very animated with a romaine leaf near (he later opened it) My tortoise is about 4 yrs. old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tracy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Continue the Baytril for as long as the vet prescribed it. The clear fluid you saw after the injection was just a bit of the medication coming back out. You should press the site with a finger as you pull the needle out.

When you have a sick tortoise, first thing you need to do is set up a hospital tank. It should be a smaller tank than his regular habitat, and something that you can cover up and warm up. Then raise his heat to an overall temp of about 80-85 degrees. Soak him in warm water every day.

Normally on the de-worming, you give a treatment, say today, then another treatment in 10 days. The anti-worm medication kills live worms, but has no effect on any eggs floating around the tortoise's system, hence the follow-up treatment.

Tortoises that are on a Baytril regimen coupled with de-worming medication, sometimes lose their appetite. Tortoises can go for a very long time without eating, so nothing to worry about just yet.

Good luck, and please keep us in the loop.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Continue the Baytril for as long as the vet prescribed it. The clear fluid you saw after the injection was just a bit of the medication coming back out. You should press the site with a finger as you pull the needle out.

When you have a sick tortoise, first thing you need to do is set up a hospital tank. It should be a smaller tank than his regular habitat, and something that you can cover up and warm up. Then raise his heat to an overall temp of about 80-85 degrees. Soak him in warm water every day.

Normally on the de-worming, you give a treatment, say today, then another treatment in 10 days. The anti-worm medication kills live worms, but has no effect on any eggs floating around the tortoise's system, hence the follow-up treatment.

Tortoises that are on a Baytril regimen coupled with de-worming medication, sometimes lose their appetite. Tortoises can go for a very long time without eating, so nothing to worry about just yet.

Yvonne is one smart lady....her advise here is awesome...and don't lose hope...he is able to recover...stay diligent and stay positive.... :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* Glad your here, sounds like you and your tortoise are having a heck of a bad time. :( Sorry. Yvonne already said the things I would have, so I am not going to offer more advise. Keep us informed and by all means if you ever just need to talk or vent, also feel free to do so.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Tracy and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that your tortoise is sick. Hope he gets better...

tracyj

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'll have "Stumpy" back to the vet for deworming next week. Encouraging to know that it was normal then to see a wiggly worm. Today my little girl seems better and we still have 1 week of Baytril treatment to go. I'm more confident after getting responses on this forum. --Tracy

ascott said:

Yvonne is one smart lady....her advise here is awesome...and don't lose hope...he is able to recover...stay diligent and stay positive.... :D

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
I had given one of my red foots baytril injections a year ago for a RI
the vet I went to told me she diluted the baytril because it burns and
the way she acted when shots were given I believe that is true. She did stop eating for weeks
and thought she would starve before ever started eating. On advice from
forum members I would soak her every day at least twice to keep her water
warm I had a heating pad under the container that I soaked her in and
also had a basking light above her while soaking so to keep her warm, My
temp. gun was very handy keeping track how warm she was while soaking also used baby food carrots and would put some of it in water she was soaking in hoping she
would ingest some while soaking, years ago I would have gave up but along
with the encouragement of forum members it was my goal to keep her alive
she finally started eating and it was mazuri that she ate first. Happy to say
a year later she is doing fine and eats like crazy. So if your tortoise goes off its food you might want to follow the above please keep us posted so we can learn from your experience.
follow the above steps and don't give up, keep

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Welcome! Sorry to here about you sick little one.:(I wish all the best to you and your tort!:)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome! I'm sorry your little girl is not well.

Status
Not open for further replies.