Baytril side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I mr turtle is on day 3 of his baytril injections, he is quite lethargic and not as excitable with foods. The vet said they didn't hurt him but he does a little squeak when I do it :-( its really tearing at my wart strings. Has anyone else had this reaction? Just a little note, he is being treated for some shell rot, but prior to the baytril he was active running laps around his enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, your vet is totally wrong. Baytril hurts like hell!!! It stings very badly. It even sometimes makes the injected leg paralyzed.

I always think its a good idea to follow your vet's instructions, but in this particular case, I just don't see using Baytril, an antibiotic, to clear up shell rot. Can you find another reptile vet and get a second opinion? You might even try PM'ing our own exoticsdr and get his opinion.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I sent a message to exoticsdr. The next
Closest exotic vet is about 40 min away. Money is also tricky :-/ our most recent visit was over $100, so I only want to go if absolutely have to.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with Yvonne. Baytril does sting during injection and can cause a lot more harm than good. If it's difficult money wise to go to another vet/second opinion, I would try calling the vet who you saw since he has already examined your tort and ask for another drug. That way you wouldn't need to pay for another office visit and could just pickup another drug.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We are talking about a Russian Tortoise right? why the hell would a vet offer up baytril injections for shell rot? Did you ask the vet WHY IN THE WORLD they would prescribe this treatment for shell rot????? If there was some other reason for the baytril then that vet should have told you....I would NOT use the baytril injections for shell rot....not not not....

If the baytril is needed for RI or other injury then I would say do what you have to do ....but not for shell rot.

oh yeah and if the vet did prescribe baytril for the shell rot did the vet even bother to go over with you what causes it....what to change about your husbandry to help prevent it in the future....etc.....? You would think that a competent vet would have gone over prevention along with treatment....not just a strong antibiotic and send you on your way....jeeez

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
We did discuss husbandry and the husbandry has been different for about a
Month. I did ask why antibiotics and se said a preventative to
Keep theft from spreading.... Did not discuss the possible harm it could cause :-( I wil be making a
Call tomorrow to her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I did ask why antibiotics and se said a preventative to
Keep theft from spreading.

Let me apologize from the start here.....I do not mean for anything that I am asking to come across as though I am questioning you dear :D I personally think that the vet did a poor job at helping you out (based on what the reason you brought the tort in for and the poor information you were given in return--based on what you explained, you know?)

I do not think that I would ever think, oh yes baytril is what I need because I spotted shell rot on my tortoise....just is not a thing to do, to me...and to keep it from spreading would be to adjust your husbandry (or if the tortoise is new to you then your newly provided environment would be the change)....

I personally am just not understanding why such a powerful antibiotic was given for your tortoise with shell rot....so please don't let anything here be taken personally by you, as my annoyance is for the vet in this case...okay :D

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
No I'm definitely not taking it personally :) when I questioned the doctor she gets kind of defensive kinda like why would I question her...on another post I said that when she was doing her exam he
Blew some clear stuff out of his nose ad thought at first that's why she gave it
But when I called to question her she "reassured" me it was for the shell rot :-(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:D....well I personally would not give baytril for shell rot.....I don't know about anyone else but just sharing my thoughts....lol

Also...if a vet appears annoyed when questions are presented then I would have a problem with that...a vet that supports their knowledge should be able to relay that knowledge to offer assurance, you know?

Are you treating the shell rot soots topically as well?

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Yes she gave me
Some blue wash to apply to the spots after soaks

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
The dr wants me to stop the baytril, she said " we were just doing it to possibly
Keep the rot from spreading and hopefully it doesn't because we will have to come
Up with another way to treat it" from
What I understand it doesn't seem like there is that little treatment options like she is making it seem. Needless to say I will drive the 40 minutes to our old vet next time

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The reason that I asked if your vet went over details with you about the baytril as treatment possibly for other things maybe but just forgot to tell you was, if the vet noticed the shell rot was severe/deep then I could understand possibly giving antibiotic injections, but the vet should have gone into detail if this was her thought as it would no longer simply be shell rot....HOWEVER, if the shell rot is not severe/deep then antibiotic injections seem extreme and so when you said she was doing it "in case"...it would have made sense to me if the vet then said because the shell rot is severe and or deep set...but the vet did not do that...:D

Well, glad to hear you can offer the topical treatment in lieu of the injections...

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Ive heard bad things about baytril :( I've even read up on others stories about their tort passing due to baytril. I hope I never have to experience that! Can I ask, how did your tort get shell rot? Just asking so it may help others as well...hope your tort gets better and I know it must be hard.

oh yah...update us on the progress :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have to mention, Baytril is an effective and strong antibiotic if used in the right situation....I have used it and would use it again if the need was warranted....but again, it is a strong antibiotic---so in that, I agree it should not be a readily used antibiotic just because.... :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
In my experience with other vets other than the current one I use, I have noticed that Baytril is the "begin-all, end-all, cure-all" drug they use for a virtually any illness for any reptile. In retrospect, I have come to discover that it simply is not, and I have even lost a few animals when using Baytril. At the time, my young naivety just assumed the animal was "too far gone" but now I have come to believe that using the Baytril may have been a factor in those cases. Of course, I'll never know for sure, but I'm very leery of Baytril nowadays.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
She seemed surprised herself that my tort was having adverse reactions to it. Anyways. I'm
Hoping he gets back to naughty self soon. He stays in the same
Spot for hours which is not normal for him at all. And the shell rot came
From
Keeping his enclosure too moist. I was trying to keep his hide a little bit humid before I knew for sure that that's not necessarily what he needed. Also I use just dirt so it hold moisture for a long time., I have since changed his living conditions :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
some doctors and vets use antibiotics as a cure all for just about everything. I am glad the vet suggested you stop it as a preventative. I think your vet has most of us baffled using an antibiotic for shell rot. I agree if your vet was annoyed at you for asking questions I might find another vet, when ever I visit my vet he answers all of my questions that I ask, no matter how silly they may seem.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Yes I won't go back to her. His old vet was amazing and very knowledgable

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Just curious...was the doctor you saw a herp vet? I only recommend seeing ones that specialize in tortoises, as they are trained to deal with tortoise care and are most familiar with them. I have been quite surprised over the years by other people's stories about bringing them to a non herp vet and how little the vets really know about tortoises and what to prescribe for their problem.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Yes she is an "extotic" vet that specializes in reptiles.

Does that count?

Status
Not open for further replies.