Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

sooz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bournemouth
Hi, my 2 Herman's just went to the vet for respiratory infections. They were both given Baytril injections but have both vomitted brown stuff about 2 hours after the injection. Has anyone else had this? Waiting for the vet to phone me, they've given me injections to give them at home, but i'm not sure if i should give it. On the plus side i can't hear a wheeze any more

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If it were me. I would call the vet office again. I would not give a dose until I spoke to the vet first. Could be some kind of reaction to the baytril. I would also let the receptionist know this. This is what I would do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. I haven't heard this about Hermann's, but it may be same for them. There are other antibiotics that can be given for respiratory infection in tortoises: Naxcel, Amikacen, ceftazidime. Read post #13 in this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22138.html

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Baytril is a pretty common respiratory drug for many animals. However, I know many vets choose not to use it due to its side effects.

However, it is pretty amazing at how quickly it can turn around a bad infection.

Give the office a call and talk to the vet as soon as you can. It could be an allergic reaction or just a side effect. Either way, the vet will probably prescribe you another medication. :)

sooz

5 Year Member
Bournemouth
Spoke to the vet they think it was a stress reaction rather than cos of the drug. I suppose they were taken in the car on a very bumpy journey, then the vet tried for ages to get them to open their mouths which they hated, then had an injection. Makes sense i suppose but still worried about giving the next injection. They do seem a lot better today though, eating and wandering around.

Status
Not open for further replies.