Bearded Dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I went to get my bearded dragon the small crickets from Petsmart that she has been eating and the lady asked me what kind of lizard I had and how big it was and then asked my why I was still feeding her the small crickets and told me that her diet should mostly be vegetables now and crickets should only be fed as treats. She also said the worms I am feeding her are too small and I should be feeding her the super worms. So I ended up getting a couple of the big crickets and I have been feeding my bearded dragon salad everyday but she isn't eating it and she hasn't even eaten the big cricket i put in there. She is only eating the worms. (Before i talked to this lady though she had been slowly starting to stop eating these small crickets. she seemed like she was losing interest and i couldn't understand why.) Why is this? Is the information the lady gave me all correct? Here are some pictures. ImageUploadedByTortForum1379280002.674767.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1379280011.569919.jpg

The salad I gave her consists of kale, spring mix, bell pepper, carrots, green beans

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are your temps?

What are you using for UV?

Does your lizard ever see the sun?

Have you been calcium dusting your insects?

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What are your temps?

What are you using for UV?

Does your lizard ever see the sun?

Have you been calcium dusting your insects?

I am using the powersun for the uvb and the temperature is 95 degrees. I don't take her outside and I haven't dusted the insects with calcium

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She might be starting to suffer from calcium deficiency.

The powersun is good, but sunshine is better.

Insects, especially crickets, have a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio. Doing a little "shake n bake" with the crickets and some calcium powder in a plastic baggie will help with this.

You might also try some other insects and leafy greens for some more variety.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Try feeding Dubia roaches, way better nutritional value than crickets. Try and take your beardie outside a few times a week for 30 minutes or so each time. They love basking in real sunlight even if its sittin on your arm or shoulder.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379305867.902406.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I will start dusting the crickets, but she isn't even interested in eating the crickets. I don't mind taking her outside because I take my tortoise outside, I just worry about her escaping because she tends to like to jump off of me and run a little bit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lindseyjordan10 said:
I will start dusting the crickets, but she isn't even interested in eating the crickets. I don't mind taking her outside because I take my tortoise outside, I just worry about her escaping because she tends to like to jump off of me and run a little bit.

Use a proper cage or a reptile leash/harness.

Another prey item might interest her more. Try the roaches. Or some worms.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Here's the leash I have: http://dragontamerlizardlead.tumblr.com

For some better choices for veggies:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I have the feeling since there is no natural sunlight being given, no calcium dusting and a lot of high/moderate oxalate veggies being served that calcium deficiency is already a problem.

My beardie never liked crickets and I wouldn't feed them anyway since there is an increased chance of getting pinworms from crickets. I feed dubias, superworms, butterworms, phoenix worms, a few waxworms now and then.

The good news is that all of that can be fixed and you can get her on the right track!

Also, it is recommended that you replace the power sun 10.0 tube bulb every 6 months.

Also, from the picture it looks like you don't have anything on the floor of the enclosure? Maybe I'm seeing that wrong. If it's just straight glass maybe it's just too slippy for her to chase crickets.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Tom said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

Use a proper cage or a reptile leash/harness.

Another prey item might interest her more. Try the roaches. Or some worms.

I am definitely going to get her the super worms in the next few days. I just don't know how I feel about feeding her roaches. How many worms do you feed a day and how many roaches a day?

DevilsLettuce said:
Have you checked out those reptariums that LLLreptile has? I was stinking about getting a couple for sunning cages for some of my animals. I imagine it would work great for a beardie if you threw a piece of driftwood in there for him to post up on in the sun.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...rium-accessories/-/38-gallon-basic-reptarium/

That is a good idea, but I think i rather just put her on a leash and take her out myself so i can spend time with her instead of just putting her in another cage

Kameo37 said:
Here's the leash I have: http://dragontamerlizardlead.tumblr.com

For some better choices for veggies:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I have the feeling since there is no natural sunlight being given, no calcium dusting and a lot of high/moderate oxalate veggies being served that calcium deficiency is already a problem.

My beardie never liked crickets and I wouldn't feed them anyway since there is an increased chance of getting pinworms from crickets. I feed dubias, superworms, butterworms, phoenix worms, a few waxworms now and then.

The good news is that all of that can be fixed and you can get her on the right track!

Also, it is recommended that you replace the power sun 10.0 tube bulb every 6 months.

Also, from the picture it looks like you don't have anything on the floor of the enclosure? Maybe I'm seeing that wrong. If it's just straight glass maybe it's just too slippy for her to chase crickets.

That is the most adorable leash i have ever seen. I am emailing the guy right now!! Haha.

I am going to start feeding her the superworms in the next couple days and I am going to look over the link you sent me for the vegetables. I just dont know if i can get myself to feed her roaches.

I definitely know to change the powersun every 6 months because i have a baby sulcata :)

In her bottom cage on half of the side under her light she has a big piece of slate tile and the rest of it is carpeted :)

Kameo37

5 Year Member
It's so hard to tell from pics! I use slate tile all the way and I love it!

With the supers and roaches I usually just put in more than I think he'll eat and let him sort it out. I HIGHLY recommend a glass bowl for worms and roaches. No escapees. I like these whiite cat dishes I found at petsmart (because they are shallow) or hamster bowls (same reason).

On the leash: It does seem to take them longer than necessary to fill the order, just be aware. I became frustrated with the wait time, though if I had known in advance, it wouldn't have been a big deal. I'm really happy with it though! It's really cute and Fafnir tolerates it well. The first time I used it he totally puffed up though. It has a short lead, so I just braided some yarn together so I could use it as a regular leash.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Sorry. When i took those pics her cage wasn't all put together yet. I have two more huge pieces of slate i want to put in there to make the whole thing tile, but I don't have a way of cutting it down to making it fit in there so for right now I have just been using carpet, but i left the one big piece in there under her uvb for her nails and for the heat at least for now. I also added two plants and a hammock in the middle but i don't think she has really figured that one out yet.

For her salad bowl I have been using one of those ceramic plant dish things. I think I might need to get one for the worms too.

So she can eat as many super worms and roaches as she wants? She might go crazy. She loves those little ones i have been giving her for right now but i have been cutting her back to only a couple a day because i know she isn't supposed to be having those ones.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I think you can score the tile, tap it and break it. Worth a shot!
It's supposed to be however much they can eat in 10-15 min, but If she's an adult I think most recommend 30 worms a week. I think you can break that up however you see fit. My guy willl only eat about 5-6 medium roaches per sitting.

Just make sure the bowl is slick, like coated ceramic...not textured like terracotta. They can climb right out of terracotta.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Kameo37 said:
I think you can score the tile, tap it and break it. Worth a shot!
It's supposed to be however much they can eat in 10-15 min, but If she's an adult I think most recommend 30 worms a week. I think you can break that up however you see fit. My guy willl only eat about 5-6 medium roaches per sitting.

Just make sure the bowl is slick, like coated ceramic...not textured like terracotta. They can climb right out of terracotta.

I have no idea how to even score and tap tile lol. I called home depot to see if they cut tile but they told me no. If i could just find a place to bring it in and bring in measurements and have them cut it that would be great.

Would she even be considered an adult yet? Is there anywhere I can buy the roaches so I dont have to buy them online? I live in LA.

So maybe like 4 worms a day?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Oh you can score and tap. Go to home depot and ask them, they can point you in the right direction.

How old is she? What's her total length? She should only be eating supers if she's at least 16 inches.

Try looking on Craigslist for local roach suppliers.
I'm in Texas, so I'm of no help there.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
I'm not sure how old she is. When i got her from petsmart she was already way bigger then the other ones. From head to toe she is about 12 inches. Is that ok to be eating roaches?

I just took her out in the son for about 30 mins but still no luck eating anything. Shes only interested in her worms. How many of those should she be having a day then?

*took her out in the sun

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I wouldn't do supers for a beardie that size at all. It could lead to impaction. I would get some phoenix worms (also called calciworms or reptiworms), butterworms, or roaches. I would probably look at small - medium dubias.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You still need to calcium dust the roaches and the superworms. Or you can put a little pinch on the salad, if she starts eating it.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
So true! You don't need to dust phoenix worms or butterworms.
You also need a regular herpvite for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.