Bearded Dragons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello everyone I wanted to show pics of my beardies and share our story so far together.

We got a beautiful female sub adult several days ago "Melee", well as soon as we got home she was active and bright eyed. As the days went on she started to fade...no eating & sleeping all the time. So contacting the pet store a million times we started force feeding her baby food no luck. In trying to find out what we were doing wrong...we got her a bigger cage, checked and rechecked her temps from one end to the next no luck. By then I'm distraught and crying and saying we can't keep her ...we have to take her back because we are doing something wrong and I don't wanna kill her. In the mean time hubby talks to his sister who also owns a pet shop...she said they had 2 and someone bought the male and left the female. They came back days later saying he's really sick and won't eat. They put him back in the tank with the female and he started to eat immediately and got his strength back so she sold them as a set. So we called the pet store and asked "did Melee have a mate in her cage?" They said she was in with a large male and a small female so we went to the store and got her buddies! Now she is bright eyed, active, eating and hunting ...back to normal.:D

Now the other 2 Mushu the small female is missing part of her tail and is a little slow so we are feeding her baby food right now and she is looking better every day! The large male is Zu and he is majorly handicapped. The pet store took him in when a family got bored with him...well the previous family never gave him calcium and the proper lighting. So Zu's arms are curved inward and his bottom jaw is much larger and sticks out farther than the top. Aside from his disabilities he is very active and eats like a huge pig!! He eats superworms, crickets, veggies, and grabs the syringe of baby food I am feeding Mushu and chugs that down!

What an experience! They are in a 40 Gallon long right now only temporary...we are either gonna buy a larger aquarium or custom build a cage for them. Melee and Zu are great we just have to get Mushu back to hunting. I kinda think that she was left with Zu when we took Melee and he's a hog...I think she wasn't getting her share! He obviously is the dominant one so poor Mushu got little to nothing for food. And so this week we have a Vet appointment for all 3.

Beardies are amazing lizards. They are so sweet and trusting.
Thanks for listening and here's some pics...

Attachments

• Dragon Babies 003.JPG
    Dragon Babies 003.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Dragon Babies 012.JPG
    Dragon Babies 012.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 41
  • More Beardie Pics 008.JPG
    More Beardie Pics 008.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 40
  • More Beardie Pics 001.JPG
    More Beardie Pics 001.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 38
  • More Beardie Pics 007.JPG
    More Beardie Pics 007.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting story. I've never encountered social problems with beardies in that direction. For me it was always bullying or food hogging, IF there was ever even a problem.

You never mentioned sunlight. Do you get them out for sunshine? There are a few species, beardies being one of them, that I think NEED sunshine. They have never done well for me without it. Mercury vapor bulbs are an adequate substitute for colder months, but I have found all the flourescents to be ineffective. Most pet stores are not familiar with this concept.

Get them into a large wire cage with some shade available or a giant tub of some sort that they can't climb out of and watch their health, colors and vitality skyrocket.

latshki

5 Year Member
Nice youll love them as do I
one of my guys came from a home where the had all the proper lights and everything they just didnt want to have another 10 bucks in their bill so he has a bit of MBD and kind of mopes around and has bad depth perseption
I would suggest a custom build and go as big as you can I would recommend 6x2x2 and have two seperate basking spots since there is three of them i have my pair in a 5x2x2 and they use every inch of it

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Right now we have a UVB bulb and a Basking Bulb and UTH for them. We were having such great weather here in PA, but yesterday it got real cold again...30's and some snow again. So I will have to wait to get them outside for a bit. I do think a custom built cage is probably the best way to go...it seems comparing different aquarium sizes there isn't really anything that looks like it would be good enough for 3...either too high or too narrow...so it's time to start planning on something better. Off to lowes!!!:)

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I wanted to ask is there anyway to make it easier for my small girl to get her fair share of food other than feeding them seperately? Have you guys fed goliath worms to yours? I was watching a lot of videos on youtube with people feeding them. I can't seem to find a store that sells them. Have you guys also fed roaches? (I'm not a bug person so I'm proud of myself feeding live things...if I buy roaches...ooooh I don't know if I can do it!) Let me know what type of bugs you guys feed!

It's really interesting having reptiles...I find myself doing things I never thought I would be doing in a million years. I've realized when you love your pets (whatever they may be) you do anything you can to make them happy! I used to be one of those people who thought it was horrible feeding live things (like pinkies), but I've totally changed because I understand now! Sorry for blabbering on!

latshki

5 Year Member
Id say feeding roaches is the best route to go and starting up a colony of dubia would be a lot cheaper then buying 1000 crix a month which they can and would eat
I would feed one while the other two are out for some fun and just switch them when its their turn i usually do this and it works fine that and I will take 3" tall by 5" deli cups and put their worms/crickets in those and direct one to each cup
you can feed goliath worms but not terribly often maybe a treat once a week or less but silkworms are great but similar, you can feed them as a staple every day though
also make sure they are getting good greens like collard, mustard, dandilion and even mango and butternut squash no spinach or lettuce

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got 16 species of roaches. My animals are WELL fed. HaHa.

Roaches are really easy to culture and way better than crickets in every way, including nutritionally. Blaptica dubia are really easy to breed and handle. No noise, no smell, no infestations if any were to escape. I actually like mine and feel a little bad about feeding them out. If you are into it, I'll give yo some tips. Should I do a post in the other pets section?

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't mind if you posted it here. I am really interested in getting started with the roaches. I was looking at the prices for them on LLLReptile they are kinda expensive so I'd get a batch from them and start to breed them.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really nice story, it is so nice of you to have bought his friends :). They are 3 beauties!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What cuties! How weird, though, that Melee did worse withOUT the others. Hmmm.. From what you're saying, I kind of wonder if Zu wouldn't be better separate from the girls, if he's hogging the food. You're risking them breeding, anyway, by having a male in with the females, which, even if you're ready for all the babies, wouldn't be a good idea considering it sounds like they were all rescues in pretty poor shape at some point.

Ditto on the roaches! I ordered my starter colony of Dubias from theroachguy.com a month or two ago. Good service, good price, and great product. My beardie boy loooves chomping down on the extra males and nymphs. :)

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You'll love them Terra ...a lizard that is soooo sweet and likes to cuddle and have attention!! They are amazing! Did you get a baby or an adult? Post pics...wanna see! You too Floof...wanna see:):)

Floof...I see what you mean. I have room to seperate them, but I'm soooo afraid she will get sick again. By the way they are all eating like crazy...it seems even the little girl is getting her share now...she is getting plump. I'm making sure they are all getting enough to eat. All 3 are bright eyed and active. Such a huge relief!
Nobody is bullying which is great. The breeding well that I'm not sure about...I don't really wanna get babies, but if it should happen, I would deal with it. (I know I have to do pre~planning also just in case!) The thing is and I could be very wrong about this, but his bottom jaw is pretty deformed ...sticks out real far~I think I read they usually bite the females neck or something during...I dunno, but I can't say he won't be able to, we all know how mother nature works!! Since they are together we are making a large enclosure so everyone will have enough room if they want to be left alone...hopefully no squabbles. With all this if I could come up with a way to seperate...I just don't know how it would be possible so I wouldn't risk what happened before. I found out he is about 3 yrs old and the girls are about 12-14 months old.

Crazybirds said:
You'll love them Terra ...a lizard that is soooo sweet and likes to cuddle and have attention!! They are amazing! Did you get a baby or an adult? Post pics...wanna see! You too Floof...wanna see:):)

Floof...I see what you mean. I have room to seperate them, but I'm soooo afraid she will get sick again. By the way they are all eating like crazy...it seems even the little girl is getting her share now...she is getting plump. I'm making sure they are all getting enough to eat. All 3 are bright eyed and active. Such a huge relief!
Nobody is bullying which is great. The breeding well that I'm not sure about...I don't really wanna get babies, but if it should happen, I would deal with it. (I know I have to do pre~planning also just in case!) The thing is and I could be very wrong about this, but his bottom jaw is pretty deformed ...sticks out real far~I think I read they usually bite the females neck or something during...I dunno, but I can't say he won't be able to, we all know how mother nature works!! Since they are together we are making a large enclosure so everyone will have enough room if they want to be left alone...hopefully no squabbles. With all this if I could come up with a way to seperate...I just don't know how it would be possible so I wouldn't risk what happened before. I found out he is about 3 yrs old and the girls are about 12-14 months old.

I just checked out that site Roachguy...wow I'm gonna get one of the starter kits...the kits are a great deal...........cool!! Thanks Floof!

I forgot here' s a pic of my newest beardie I got yesterday from LLLReptile he's in his/her own home. One day here and it crawls into my hand as soon as I put it out...I wonder if this baby was handled before I got him? He's about 4 inches or so. This baby was called a red cross color. I have so many animals I'm drawing a blank on a name...help?!!:rolleyes:Baby Boxie & Dragons 001.JPGView attachment 4850Baby Boxie & Dragons 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You never know, Zu may very well do perfectly well housed alone. May as well give it a shot, and just eliminate that breeding risk... I don't know about the biting thing, but as long as his man parts work, he can still make babies! ;)

I'm glad the suggestion helped! I got the 260 count starter kit w/3 adult pairs, myself. Great deal, indeed! :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I thought i did post a few pics, but why not take more photos huh?

DSCI0005-2.jpg

DSCI0010-2.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Your new little one is so cute! No ideas on names, though.. I suck at that. Haha. Terra, your beardie is going to be SUCH a stunner! Love the color on him!

Here's my boy, Man Ray... Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to get fresh pics. :)
ManRay01.jpg

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Terra awwww so cute beautiful baby!!! Congrats!!! What do ya think...can you do roaches for your baby? What's your baby's name?

Floof...love the name! He's quite the handsome guy...lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve his plumpie arm!!!:):) Nice orange beard and eyes!
Gonna order my roach colony next friday. Bought some wax worms yesterday for a treat...they went nuts over them!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Roaches, i am not so sure about that... I dont care if he (woody) eats them, but i dont want to touch them...

how big is your guy?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks, Dannielle! Man Ray is blushing at all your praise.. :D

The good news is, Terra, that Dubias are slow enough that you can just grab a leg with a little pair of forceps and toss them in the feeding bowl. Easy peasy! Which is especially good, because bugs (especially creepy crawlies like roaches) scare the crap out of me. And they don't constantly jump at you, like crickets. UGH. I don't EVER want to deal with those evil, smelly things again... lol

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wow... I thought I was the only one that hated filthy,stinky,jumpy,noisy, canibal crickets!! I don't even want to breed those nasty little things! That's why I'm so thrilled to start roaches.

Terra go to theroachguy.com as Floof rec. earlier and read about them on there and check out youtube videos...that may help! If they were jumpers ...ewwww that wouldn't work for me.

I hate bugs of any kind...I use stainless steel long tongs to feed crickets, mealies, superworms, wax worms, etc. I never touch anything. When I first got superworms for the critters I opened their container and tried picking them up with tongs(they fight like heck to get away)...anyway my shih tzu rubbed against my leg when I was doing that and I about had a heart attack! I swear there are finger nail marks in the ceiling...and I almost had to change my shorts!!!HAHAHAHA! LOL!!!
:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.