Beautiful Female Russian Tortoise Looking for New Home (WA State)

becca1354

Hi there,

It is with a very heavy heart that we are considering re-homing our Russian Tortoise, Tasha. We have had Tasha for three years but estimate that she is around 7. She has become a part of our family - in fact, we are probably unhealthily attached to her. Unfortunately, we recently found out that we have to move out of the country for my husband’s job. We have extensively researched the process of taking Tasha with us (and even already paid the $75 fee for an export permit) but, the more we continue to discuss it, feel that it is perhaps unfair to drag her across the world, particularly as the apartment we will be housed in is tiny and does not have any outdoor space. We (and Tasha) are currently based near Seattle and we are hoping to re-home her before we leave on the 28th of this month. We are willing to drive as far as necessary (within reason, given our time frame) to ensure that she goes to a good home.

We are really really hesitant to put Tasha up for adoption as we want to make sure that she goes to people who are experienced with this breed of tortoise and who are committed to giving her the correct food, habitat, and care that she needs. She is healthy and oddly social (she will come up and sit on our hands for leg/head rubs, will follow me around the room, and seems to actively enjoy - or at least not hate - cuddles). If we are not able to find a good home then we will work out a way to have her sent over to us as we can’t stand the idea of her not being well loved and cared for. She would come with one ZooMed Tortoise House - she was housed in two of them together previously but we shipped the other one with all of our furniture (planning to take her with us) so she would need another one or a larger enclosure.

Please contact me if you are in the Pacific Northwest interested in learning more about adopting Tasha. I am not sure if uploading photos worked as I am unfamiliar with posting on these types of forums but I am happy to send you photos and more information!

2r6p251.jpg
[/IMG]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Darn, wish I was closer. So very sorry you have had to make this choice. *hugs*

Loritort

Hi Becca,

For what It's worth I think you're making the right decision by rehoming her. I understand and sympathize with your situation. You mentioned that you and your husband have an unhealthy attachment to her. What does that mean? I get the impression you care very much for her and want her to have the best life possible.

Loritort

It's about what's best for the tort, not them. Moving her overseas is a huge ordeal and Russians are easily stressed and typically don't handle change well. Best to find her a good home here.

becca1354

Thank you all so much for your concern and input! We really appreciate it.

We are not sure if the move is permanent - my husband's job contract is for two years and so we will have to re-evaluate once the contract is up. Part of why we have been so hesitant to consider rehoming Tasha is because I am scared that we will decide to move back to the US in a couple of years and will regret making this choice.

Luckily, we just heard back from Tortoise Acres in northern California and they will be able to house Tasha at their sanctuary. We are going to pay a monthly sponsorship fee to ensure that she is not adopted out and that she can stay at the sanctuary indefinitely. We have been reassured that if/when we do come back to the US, we will be able to welcome her back into our family! I don't want her to be juggled from home to home but don't know what else to do for now. We will miss her terribly in the meantime but feel that this is the best decision for her wellbeing. If we decide to stay in Ireland longterm, then we will put the possibility of transporting her to us back on the table (however, we are worried that the climate there just isn't ideal, that she will have to spend too much time indoors, and that the journey would be stressful on her, particularly if she ends up needing to be quarantined).

Again, we really appreciate the feedback and concern and are very happy to have found a solution!

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
I am looking for a girl, I live in Southern California, so she will live her life outdoors in the sun:) I traveled internationally a lot, if you do choose to take her make super duper sure she will not end up in quarantine when you get there that may take up to one month of awefulness! just make sure!
I can text you pics of my enclosure if you choose me:) 805-410-2047:) best of luck:) I love mY Russian, they are spunky:) I have Peter the Great, Pushkin, B'ichok and Slonik:) they are super curious it is true:)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Thank you all so much for your concern and input! We really appreciate it.

We are not sure if the move is permanent - my husband's job contract is for two years and so we will have to re-evaluate once the contract is up. Part of why we have been so hesitant to consider rehoming Tasha is because I am scared that we will decide to move back to the US in a couple of years and will regret making this choice.

Luckily, we just heard back from Tortoise Acres in northern California and they will be able to house Tasha at their sanctuary. We are going to pay a monthly sponsorship fee to ensure that she is not adopted out and that she can stay at the sanctuary indefinitely. We have been reassured that if/when we do come back to the US, we will be able to welcome her back into our family! I don't want her to be juggled from home to home but don't know what else to do for now. We will miss her terribly in the meantime but feel that this is the best decision for her wellbeing. If we decide to stay in Ireland longterm, then we will put the possibility of transporting her to us back on the table (however, we are worried that the climate there just isn't ideal, that she will have to spend too much time indoors, and that the journey would be stressful on her, particularly if she ends up needing to be quarantined).

Again, we really appreciate the feedback and concern and are very happy to have found a solution!
i know of them, that is a great idea, i had no idea they did this:) good job, you :)