Becoming a new turtle owner

ayla

I've always wanted a turtle so now that I can finally get one I'm trying to make sure I can get everything I need. An outdoor enclosure is not an option at this time, I live in a small town out in the country and there's just too many wild animals and I would just be too worried, so it would be indoors. I have a fairly large rabbit cage for now I was told it would be better because it would get more air and I could actually put it outside during the day when I'm out there so it would be able to get good lighting until dark, my question is about the lighting , the diet and the bedding. I am a single mother right now so money is tight but I will get what I do need , my daughter is pretty excited she asks me every day where the turtle it is, I'm looking more at the box turtles/ tortoises. I recently found a really good reptile heating lamp for $5, the woman gave me a blue flood bulb? She used it I suppose for her reptiles but it just didn't seem like it would be suitable for a reptile? My question is what bulbs can I use now, would it need both basking and UVB since during the day it can be outside ? What diet do they require ? I do plan on getting the calcium dust , bedding ? I've heard top soil is good for them . I should include that I do infact live an hour away from stores, the only two petstores I have near me are pet supplies plus and petco so my options are limited.

The images below are of the bulb and lamp. I do have a smaller lamp I would use for basking and the larger one for UVB since it is so big , could I wait on the UVB until winter since it is summer out now? I feel like I'm having another child only this one is a bit more complicated .IMG_20140716_211727929.jpg IMG_20140716_211746624.jpg

Last edited:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I've always wanted a turtle so now that I can finally get one I'm trying to make sure I can get everything I need. An outdoor enclosure is not an option at this time, I live in a small town out in the country and there's just too many wild animals and I would just be too worried, so it would be indoors. I have a fairly large rabbit cage for now I was told it would be better because it would get more air and I could actually put it outside during the day when I'm out there so it would be able to get good lighting until dark, my question is about the lighting , the diet and the bedding. I am a single mother right now so money is tight but I will get what I do need , my daughter is pretty excited she asks me every day where the turtle it is, I'm looking more at the box turtles/ tortoises. I recently found a really good reptile heating lamp for $5, the woman gave me a blue flood bulb? She used it I suppose for her reptiles but it just didn't seem like it would be suitable for a reptile? My question is what bulbs can I use now, would it need both basking and UVB since during the day it can be outside ? What diet do they require ? I do plan on getting the calcium dust , bedding ? I've heard top soil is good for them . I should include that I do infact live an hour away from stores, the only two petstores I have near me are pet supplies plus and petco so my options are limited.

The images below are of the bulb and lamp. I do have a smaller lamp I would use for basking and the larger one for UVB since it is so big , could I wait on the UVB until winter since it is summer out now? I feel like I'm having another child only this one is a bit more complicated .View attachment 87745 View attachment 87746
Hi, hope you like it here :D what type of tortoise will you get? I've never had box turtles but I have a Greek tortoise.. I'd recommend that you get a Russian, Greek, or Hermann's tortoise, they are easy for beginners and Russians have a good personality.
Here's there caresheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/#post-751936
Here's there diet sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....epartment-of-Fish-and-Game.49451/#post-473947
If you still want a box turtle here is it's link:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Box-Turtle-Care-Sheet.93937/#post-889199
You don't need UVB if you can get them out side for an hour a day it's fine :) The light she have you is suitable if it gives off heat, read those diet sheets please! For bedding topsoil only (without sand or fertilizers) or coco coir which you can get from a gardening center. Using calcium dust or supplements is used 2-3 times a week. Good luck (with the money & children & tortoise)! It's so sweet how she wants a pet (just make sure she doesn't play roughly with the tortoise, tell her I said hi) :)
By the way: you can plant some of the tortoise food (like cactus and mulberry to not buy lots from
everywhere!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ayla, and welcome to the Forum!

That bulb will only provide heat. I wouldn't use it. I think because of your short supply of money, a box turtle would be a better choice because they can get by without an expensive UVB light. You can buy one of the smaller tube-type fluorescent UVB bulbs and then just use a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb to heat the habitat.

Don't try to put a full grown box turtle into a small aquarium. Just because its a smaller species doesn't mean he needs a smaller space. Buy the biggest plastic tub you can afford, then add lots of plants and hiding places, a food dish and a waterer. You are striving for something that looks similar to this:

christmas tree bin-1.jpg Christmas tree bin-2.jpg

ayla

Thank you for all the replies ! I've read and read where aquariums weren't the complete best for tortoises due to the fact that they tend to run in, we were looking at different tortoises, we found a box turtle last month and he was just the sweetest, I do believe he was someones pet by the way he acted, he let me hold him and I could touch his head and he would still stay out of his shell, sadly I found him a few days later hit by a car :C . Would the rabbit cage be fine for kind of an outdoorsy enclosure then to get some sunlight? Right now it's summer but towards mid september it starts to get cold so I know I will need a UVB for winter, I want to make sure I get the stuff that will keep one warm. Do you have any idea of which UVB bulb would be best? I've been looking and searching and I just can't seem to find what one would be good, it seems like the bulb is probably the most stressful part on my end I have no idea, my cousin has turtles and when I asked she wasn't specific she just said a UVB and that was that so I'm just lost and beyond confused. I'll try to get out to a petstore saturday and see what they have, petco is about maybe an hour and a half away from me , so my only option is pet supplies plus and they really are just oblivious to what an animal requires and needs .I'll look at tubs and see what they have for one :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

ayla

I can't have an outdoor enclosure so that's not an option , which is why I was told a large rabbit cag would be fine for now since I've been looking at smaller ones and can set the cage outside for sunlight .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
How big will it be, I've seen really small cages (will you remove the wired floor) I still think looking for a tub may be better... Good luck + post pics :D

ayla

I'll deff look into tubs , this cage actually has a hard plastic bottom , no wire .

Attachments

• 1405727182802.jpg
    1405727182802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

pepetort

That cage is tiny. I keep my hamster in a bigger cage. You will need something much bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

ayla

Its a lot bigger in person , it held a full grown rat .

pepetort

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will chip in but tortoises need ALOT of space to run around in. That's just doesn't look big enough at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

ayla

That's fine as I said I'll look into the tubs , I just figured a rabbit cage would be a bit more suitable , in my situation , as I have a dog two cats and a two year old child , a tub would be more easier yes , but outdoor wise no , I just figured it would be getting more air all around rather than the top , and was mostly concerned with lighting situation since it can be outside during the day but not at night .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It is possible to make outdoor enclosures predator proof. Locks are necessary to keep raccoons out, but it can be done. Some people keep their animals in locked night boxes while the larger daytime area is less secure. Others bring their animals in at night.

I don't know all your circumstances, of course, or what your climate is where you are. It's good that you are doing research and asking advice.

These animals are a long term commitment. It's one thing when they fall into your life and you do the best you can until you can do better. If you aren't willing or able to do everything necessary to give them a good life then maybe you should wait a while until you can.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
None of them! They cause eyes problems & possible blindness :( you can buy one of these (May seem expensive but a proper light is worth it):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0010...FG3209367&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-895-86-20
Is not recommend a rabbit cage since they are too small, how much of your yard can you give the tortoise?

Just wanted to chime in that this bulb is ok for tortoises, NOT box turtles. This bulb is too hot and too bright. Box turtles prefer shade and temps between 70 and 85.

Regarding the rabbit cage, box turtles should be kept very humid, and the substrate should be damp, even a little wet. You don't want "air flow" you want to keep humidity and moisture in. A bin is much better at this. A 55 gallon bin or Xmas tree bin (if you can find one this time of year) could both work.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree, box turtles like filtered sunlight and shade. I have two box turtles and I use a 5.0 UVB tube across the middle of the enclosure and a black moonglo bulb on one end to heat the enclosure. The have damp substrate to dig in and plants to hide under and a water dish to soak in.

One of my boxies is very large because she has gulf coast in her bloodlines. For her I took an old dresser and turned it on it's back (removed drawers, etc.). The smaller three toed right now lives in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid enclosure. She is ready for a larger enclosure now but that is what she has been in. I do find it is easier to regulate temps and humidity in the plastic Rubbermaid than it is in the wooden dresser enclosure.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
She used tortoise in one part of her post, a mistake maybe? I think she means turtle... Good luck :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think she is considering either a tortoise or a box turtle.

ayla

I was looking at box but maybe leaning more towards a box turtle , I realize that they are a commitment and I do plan on having it grow up with my daughter , she absolutely loves turtles , which is why I'm doing all my research now before I get one so I don't make a mistake and it ends up dying . I'll look into the tubs , but the bulb part is really what's confusing me the most since there's so many, I don't want to get one too hot or one that won't do its job and damage, what bulbs would be best for a box turtle ?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
A 5.0 UV flourescent strip light and 60 watt incandescent bulb should work for you.