Bedding Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavensWind

5 Year Member
Right now i have: Exo-Terra Forest Moss as substrate for my Red Foot, the problem with forest moss, is the smell. What type of bedding/substrate do you guys recommend? I heard that 70% Cypress Mulch and 30% Forest moss was perfect for Red foots..is this true?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I have never used the forest moss before. I just use cypress mulch for the whole enclusure except the hide which i stuff with sphagnum moss.

LindaF

5 Year Member
jrcrist4 said:
I have never used the forest moss before. I just use cypress mulch for the whole enclusure except the hide which i stuff with sphagnum moss.

This is what I do as well.

Peacebone

5 Year Member
AZ
I have used both cypress by itself and a cypress and peat moss mix. I personally like the cypress and peat moss mix.

HeavensWind

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys, The forest moss stank allot. I got some Cypress Mulch and it's awesome!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
HeavensWind said:
Right now i have: Exo-Terra Forest Moss as substrate for my Red Foot, the problem with forest moss, is the smell. What type of bedding/substrate do you guys recommend? I heard that 70% Cypress Mulch and 30% Forest moss was perfect for Red foots..is this true?

I personally use mosser lee moss found at Lowes (not stinky for me atleast) + eco-earth + orchid bark chips. Works for me.....

SelfRescuingPrincess

5 Year Member
Washington State
Where do you get cyprus mulch? I've looked at my local pet store and at home depot, where i found nothing but "red bark" and "brown bark", as the employee was so helpful to tell me was in the bags, when i asked specifically what kind of wood was in the mulch. lol.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Well it depends on where you live. People on the west coast have a difficult time finding cypress mulch that is not pine (maybe just me :)). I am sure you can get it at the petshop. Petsmart has the stuff sold by t-rex, but it is much much more expensive than what some ppl can get at home depot for example.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
I was planning to use a mix of Repti-Bark and Forest Floor Bedding with dampened sphagnum moss under the hide. Does this sound right or would something else be better? It will be in a 40 gallon reptile tank with a screen lid until space and money allow me to make something bigger....

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Jeremy, sounds about right. That is what I use the repti bedding and the peat moss for the hide. Works pretty good for my larger enclosure.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are dozens of products, and hundreds of mixes you can try, but right now, in my Tortarium, it is plain cheap lightweight cypress. If I did not have access to cypress, I would use orchid bark (fine grade Douglas fir bark nuggets). I really have not seen a reason to add any moss or coconut coir.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Jeremy your mix is completely fine. I have used the forest floor before and all it is is more finely cut cypress mulch and not much more. The forest floor does in fact look alot better than regular cypress mulch that you can get from home depot or lowes, but they both do the same thing in regards to humidity and substrate; the only significant difference is the price. :)

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Upstate NY, USA
I thought about getting cypress mulch from Lowes or Home Depot instead, but was not sure if they were safe to use....

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I just switched to Organic Cypress Mulch that I got from Home Depot. What a difference from the Coconut Husk I was using in my inside. My RF seems to like it ok, burrows better in the sand and coconut but she is getting used to the cypress and she doesn't have all those little strings on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.