been given a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsam

5 Year Member
I all, I was recently given a one year old male horsefield tortoise. The tortoise has not been in hibernation and lived in a small wooden box with glass doors on and no lighting, so I made a tortoise table and bought a heat lamp and UV basking lamp, our little man named Snap seems a lot better in himself, I have put 70% top soil and 30% play sand in his castle grounds, but I’m not sure what’s best for his bedding, at the moment its clean white shredded paper placed on the top soil in his hide, I’ve been putting young Snap in a bowl of lukewarm water and feeding him, he does relieve himself, but he’s not to happy about been there. My location is Bradford West Yorkshire, and it’s raining to day, take care now, Sam

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 41
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 50

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sam!

Are you saying that you feed him in the soaking water? That's not necessary.

I'm glad that you've taken in this poor tortoise. He will do much better under your care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) turtles need to eat in water, not tortoises. Remove the paper Nd just let him have the dirt. He will probably like to burrow in. If you want something else in his hide other the dirt, you could add some cypress mulch or spaghnum moss. Just what for mold on the spaghnum.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum! Snap is a cutie. Love that he's sticking his tongue out in the one pic. :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Snap is adorable! Thank you for giving him a home. It appears that you are feeding him on slate which is perfect. It is very typical for them to scramble around during their soak. That is normal and and the soaking is important for them. I call it the water aerobics portion of the day. Welcome to TFO

oldsam

5 Year Member
Hi all, thanks for your reply and kind word’s it’s most appreciated, its good to know I’m in the right place if I run into any problems with my new family member, take care, Sam

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome Sam :). I'm very glad you have provided him with a much better home :) this forum is a great resource and had many awesome members. Your tort is a cutie pie! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.