been lurking for 2 years

skibum1110

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, FL
Hello all, I have been lurking this site for 2 years. Now I am finally starting to post. My tort an African Sulcata named Si we have had since Dec 2010. He seems to be doing very well. We started him in a 30 gal breeder then went to a 40 gal breeder. I just built him a tort table for him that's 30x60 in. I believe we have cared for him correctly, but I might be wrong. I am always willing to learn new ways to care him.

Attachments

• 20141101_175223.jpg
    20141101_175223.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 48

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm curious why he's still in the house? Living in Florida, you have the perfect climate for outdoor tortoise living.

Your tortoise has a beautiful expression on his face. Nice picture.

skibum1110

5 Year Member
Lakeland, FL
Im still trying to find a good place in the year for him. He spends a few hours a week outside with me.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . May I ask why did it take 2years to find out the TFO is full of great people . Who really love turtles and torts . And will try their best to help all people with torts and turtles ?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) unfortunately, he was started out very dry and has a lot,of pyramiding. When they are young they need an 80% humidity to grow smooth. It's too bad you didn't get him outside sooner, your high humidity would have helped him a lot.
It would do him a lot of good to get him housed outside as soon as possible. Better for him, cheaper for you. Just make sure you provide shade and either bring him inside on those really cold nights or provide a tort house that has some heat for those times. If you read Toms threads below in my post, you will learn how he should have been started. Don't worry though, you aren't the only one,that didn't know and you won't be the last. You still have a beautiful tort.