Been seeing this guy around my yard for about a month now, what kind of turtle is he?

Sidneyw92

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Ga
I know he is not a wood turtle, box turtle, or gopher tortoise but I can’t determine what he is extremely curious to know! He’s about 9-11 inches long and pretty wide, and I live in North Georgia near the Atlanta metro.

C58D0431-406A-4AD0-8D05-1A8D83F0F012.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting. High dome, not much in the way of coloration. Hhmmmmm.

Where‘s Inspector Closeau when we need him (Or her)?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know he is not a wood turtle, box turtle, or gopher tortoise but I can’t determine what he is extremely curious to know! He’s about 9-11 inches long and pretty wide, and I live in North Georgia near the Atlanta metro.
@mark1
@Markw84

Are both pretty good with turtle ID.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Can't be 100% sure from just that picture. However, it looks like a melanistic male slider - probably a Yellow-bellied or Red-Ear. Trachemys script scripta or P s elegans. The higher dome would lead me to believe Yellow-Bellied - P s scripta

In your area it could be a RIver Cooter, Pseudemys concinna - but the head looks more Slider and cooters don't get melanistic like that. Also looks like some very faded vertical stripes on the costals - and that would definitely be slider.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Can't be 100% sure from just that picture. However, it looks like a melanistic male slider - probably a Yellow-bellied or Red-Ear. Trachemys script scripta or P s elegans. The higher dome would lead me to believe Yellow-Bellied - P s scripta

In your area it could be a RIver Cooter, Pseudemys concinna - but the head looks more Slider and cooters don't get melanistic like that. Also looks like some very faded vertical stripes on the costals - and that would definitely be slider.

Then a pretty old Slider for sure. 👍

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At any rate, It's a water turtle and they can only eat in water. Is there a water feature nearby?. . . pond, creek, bay, etc?

zovick

10 Year Member!

View attachment 344899
Looks like a female River Cooter. She has quite possibly been searching the area for a good nesting spot in this dry weather we've been having.

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
That's definitely a Yellow-bellied Slider; the lengthwise grooves on the carapace are diagnostic. Does look somewhat melanistic, though the head pattern is hidden. Needs to be released near water (pond, marsh, etc.)