Before and after of the outdoor enclosure we built for our Hermann’s!

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
8A5D71BD-0AA0-4DB6-8BE3-E0808EA3826C.jpeg
96A40580-1D0E-493E-80A0-C6CF9F8EDB28.jpeg

We’re hoping he won’t attempt to escape since he can see through the gaps in the tiny fence. If he’s good then we’ll remove the wood barriers. Regardless of the final set up we plan to keep a close eye on him throughout the day and never leave him out while we’re gone.

Also - we’re going to put a 4’ x 2’ raised garden bed on one side of the enclosure so he has a shaded area to hide under. I just recently read about “deep shade” so I’ll keep a close eye on the ground temps with my temp gun and see if better shading is necessary. He’ll have water & hides in both the shaded area and sunny spots.

Any ideas regarding edible plants that can be added? And any other tips welcome. He’s our first and only tortoise and this is the first outdoor enclosure we’ve made

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind if tortoise is this enclosure for?
I think it looks great. I wouldn't remove the wood. If they can't see out they will spend less time pacing the fence line.
You can plant leafy greens like we buy at the grocery stores. Also hibiscus, pothos, rose of sharon, dandelion, clover, just to mention the few that comes to mind.
Keep in mind some of my list might depend on the type of tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
What kind if tortoise is this enclosure for?
I think it looks great. I wouldn't remove the wood. If they can't see out they will spend less time pacing the fence line.
You can plant leafy greens like we buy at the grocery stores. Also hibiscus, pothos, rose of sharon, dandelion, clover, just to mention the few that comes to mind.
Keep in mind some of my list might depend on the type of tortoise.
Thread title says it is for a Hermann's Tortoise. It doesn't specify whether Eastern or Western, though.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
And . .one thing. Is that a patch of grass in the middle?
If it is Sod, it most likely has a plastic mesh that holds it together, and was grown with a fair amount of chemicals. Fertilizer, possibly herbicide/pesticide. The mesh if allowed to be exposed can become an impaction problem. If this is sod, it would be best if you removed it.....

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also since there's gaps between the fence they can't really climb it. But if something with a solid wall is close a tortoise can use it to climb up and out. They'll just flip sideways with their feet against the solid wall and their back against one of the slats and keep on going going gone Little brats. 🙃How tall is the shorter fence?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also since there's gaps between the fence they can't really climb it. But if something with a solid wall is close a tortoise can use it to climb up and out. They'll just flip sideways with their feet against the solid wall and their back against one of the slats and keep on going going gone Little brats. 🙃How tall is the shorter fence?
Something I forgot to mention is if the gaps are wide enough you might find a tortoise that became a wedgie.😉 They may not be able to get out but that doesn't the little turdess won't try 🤗

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
Super cute enclosure! Is your tort small enough to go under the tree “bridge” in the foreground? Other than that, I don’t see much shade for him. I know you said you’re adding some, but in the meantime, could just use a terracotta pot on it’s side, with some dirt filled in to level it out. Our adult Hermann used that for several years (until the window cleaner stepped on it and broke it :-( )

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How hot does it get there in the days? I think it needs more shade and greenery and a bigger water pool.