Beginner looking for tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarsy_c

5 Year Member
Hi all,

After much consideration I've decided I'd like to add a tortoise to my animal family so now I'm looking into homing and breeds etc.

I think I would like either a Hermann or a Horsfield, I'm not fussy about age or sex so have been looking at rehoming via UK Tortoise Rescue.

I'd be keeping the tortoise predominately indoors and in a tortoise table, never a viv, and during nicer weather I have an outdoor run with plenty of shade that the tortoise could use, which would also allow me to restrict access to any toxic plants.

I came across an interesting thread on another site just now where someone was asking where best to purchase a tortoise table from and someone suggested buying a bookcase and making your own. Is this adviseable? Just had a quick look on Argos for example and a nicer sleek looking bookcase that comes flat packed (so obviously I'd just not use all of the shelves or cut hole in them so the tortoise could wander through) but I'm not sure how deep a book case would need to be so that the tortoise couldn't clamber out. I could use one of the shelves over the top as a shelter also.

Here it is: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...:home+and+garden+>+shelves+and+shelving+units Or if black wood would be a problem due to paint/coating on it they have the same bookcase in pine or oak also.

It would probably be a lot cheaper to do that and I do like creating things (I made my own ratty haven out of an XXL dog crate and chicken wire!), and I'd want a joint heat & light source on a timer, I've already got fresh soil available (my mum's a grdener) and various sized water bowls. I've seen tortoise tables, just the table at £75 so a £12.99 bookcase would be ideal - I'm hoping - but that's why I've joined her for some advice.

I'd also appreciate any lighting/heat reccomendations on timers as that's certainly my preference. I'm also keeping an eye out for anyone selling a full tortoise table set up, someone is near to me but the advert is quite old so I'm not expecting that to still be available as they were only asking £35 for the lot. Someone else quite nearby is selling the whole shebang for £75 as well so depends how much the right light costs I guess!

I was supposed to be going to see a tortoise on the Saturday just gone but the woman sold him to someone else before I got there! He would have come with all his set up so it was disappointing but that's why I'm looking into a proper rescue instead because private sellers can and do let you down. I asked about going to see another one this week but the guy selling 'doesn't have time' for me to go over but is selling his tortoise? Erm, what?! So I think I'll let them one go as it'd be a 2.5 hour round trip and seems a bit dodgy.

UK Tortoise Rescue ask to see photos of where the tortoise will live before they'll consider you for rehoming so it's something I'd like to get set up this week and then I'm ready as and when a tortoise becomes available in my area :)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice - for info I do also have 2 rabbits, a ferret, 3 rats and a dog but the dog would never be anywhere near the tortoise and the rabbits live in a shed at the bottom of the garden and have access to a different run so Mr/Mrs Tortoise won't be bothered by any other animals.

abclements

5 Year Member
Cool that you're looking into rescuing a tort! I would go for a hermanns over a Russian just because Russians get very uncomfortable in anything less than a room sized enclosure (or so I've heard).

As far as the book case goes, it is an awesome plan that we on this forum advise all the time! And black paint won't hurt as long as its not flaking and chipping.

Lighting, you'll want to get a mercury vapor bulb (both heat and uvb) and a ceramic heat emitter for night time heat.

sarsy_c

5 Year Member
Ah super thanks, I'll look into suitable lights with a mercury vapor bulb and a ceramic heat emitter then.

Is there a usual designated height for the sides of the tortoise table? To make sure he/she couldn't possibly clamber out somehow!

I emailed at least 6 different people about tortoises yesterday and not one of them has replied yet - seems tortoise sellers are as slow as the tortoises with responding to enquiries!!!

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Beginner looking for tort

The side wall height should be a couple inches taller than the length of your tort. So a hermanns should be about 8 inches long, So maybe a wall height of 12 inches in the future full sized enclosure.

sarsy_c said:
I emailed at least 6 different people about tortoises yesterday and not one of them has replied yet - seems tortoise sellers are as slow as the tortoises with responding to enquiries!!!

Haha very funny about the slow comment! :) who did you email?

sarsy_c

5 Year Member
Great, thank you. I'll give the people who are selling tortoise tables with set ups a couple of days to return my calls/emails then if not £12.99 bookcase it is! Just researching those lights you've mentioned now as I need to make sure they can attach to wood ok also :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Be sure that your table has a lip to keep your tortoise from climbing out. Especially corners need the lip or something to block the top so they can't escape.

sarsy_c

5 Year Member
Ok guys, I'm going to see a tortoise tomorrow who comes with a tortoise table and all his equipment. He's currently got sand as a base, which I'm told is due a change, but I was planning on using soil - is there any reason not to replace the sand with soil? I don't want to upset the little guy if I do end up taking him home with me tomorrow.

Also, re: feeding, I have a number of suitable plants/weeds in my garden now but I'm concerned about when winter comes as I haven't seen anywhere that torts can eat anything evergreen (this is a horsfield tort I'm talking about btw). What do you guys feed over winter? This tort is 5 and has never hibernated, I wasn't planning to hibernate either.

Thanks in advance :)

abclements

5 Year Member
No, no evergreen stuff. Consider buying some Mazuri to feed if you can find any greens. Spring mix from the store also has a decent variety of things for your tort. Dandelion leaves should remain in your yard or wherever over the winter, the trick is finding them lol

And yes, replace the sand asap

sarsy_c

5 Year Member

I've got a small tub of soil ready in my house for whenever I get my tortoise and I have easy access to soil as my mum is a gardener (so she has also been able to point out exactly what I DO have in my garden!) so I'd prefer to use soil over sand anyway.

There's nothing else in his home at the moment bar a water bowl, no rock, no shelter etc. I don't know if he's ever had that but the story is he's with an elderly couple now as he belongs to their son who has split from his wife and so can now apparently not look after the tortoise anymore....

It is a really big tortoise table at least so he's got plenty of room (just need to figure out myself where it's going to go in my home!) but it doesn't look like much with it being so bare.

As a temporary measure I've got one of those large tubes that rabbits play inside and I can go to a petshop on Sunday to get any other accessories. What do you use for a shelter/house?

Status
Not open for further replies.