Beginner Tortoise help.

BRT

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi all,

Me and my wife are looking into becoming first time tort owners. Currently residing in Sacramento,CA.

I’m hoping to get some advice on what kind of tortoise you all would recommend and would thrive in this climate?

Me and my wife have been looking at potentially a Herman or a Russian but are obviously open to all your advice.
We have the space for an indoor and big outdoor enclosure and we also grow our own greens/veg/weeds so are able to hopefully offer the kind of food it requires.

Would appreciate any advice or guidance. We want to make sure we’re making the most educated decision especially because we know it’s a life long investment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Both of those species will work great in your climate with the proper enclosures. Hermanni are a little bigger, prettier, don't dig down and disappear, and not as escape prone.

BRT

California
Thank you for your replies, welcomes and advice! Think we are pretty set on a Hermanni for the reasons Tom mentioned above! Could anyone recommend a decent enclosure or some ideas so we can make sure we have it all set up and in the optimal conditions before getting the tort. Really want to give it the best chance possible!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
In addition to the thread linked above this will also help with either of the species
but should be used along with the Info for New People to avoid mistakes.

Open tables are very difficult to control temps and humidity so some sort of closed chamber would be better. If your new tort is going to be a baby then maybe a large viv with plenty of room for him to wander about in to start him off.
One of the members actually makes great enclosures I'll see if I can find a link.

Reactions: BRT

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you are doing your homework first. @Tom is it @Markw84 that sells tortoise enclosures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you are doing your homework first. @Tom is it @Markw84 that sells tortoise enclosures?
Yes. The best tortoise enclosures made and at a ridiculously low price for what you are getting. You couldn't buy the materials and build it yourself for cheaper than what he sells them for.

They are called "Smart Enclosures", and Mark is right there in Sacramento near the OP.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you both, I’ll reach out to Mark and have a chat.
You think that they are pricey. But what the material they are made of and the equipment he puts in the enclosure. They can't be beat.Everything is wired professionally and again the material the enclosure is made of will never rot,mold or attract bugs. Do it once the right way or every 5 years remake another enclosure.