beginnings of outdoor enclosure

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
just getting started on a new outdoor pen for my sulcata. i know it's too small, but we will expand it next year. for now, we are just getting her used to being outside. we still have to add the inside barrier so she can't see out and we have plans for a heated house that we will put along the side of the garage for her. i let her out in the pen for an hour today for the first time. in the background of the bottom picture, you can see a little portable pen that we move around and i my leo out in it for an hour today.
IMG_20140814_132013.jpg

IMG_20140814_132034.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Curious, what are you planning to use for the barrier?

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
well, originally we were going to get sheets of plywood and cut them in half and put them along the inside. but we may try .... umm... i don't know what you call it. metal siding or roffing?? my husband has been building a morton-type storage building for a business in town and came home the other day and said he thought the metal, laid long-ways, would hold up a lot better than plywood. so, we'll see if that's what he ends up doing or not. it won't cost as much as plywood and i figure if we decide it doesn't work, we can always do something different.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use a 2' high wooden border of plywood. She can't see out and her enclosure is large enough that she doesn't spend much time trying to push through it, and it's been nice and sturdy so far. Although, the metal sounds like a good idea, considering you have acsessto it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I like to see what will be next.

As I know. Cinder block makes very good barrier.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have used the metal roofing for my larger two tortoises for several years and I liked it. I didn't use it on the last enclosure for them, but am thinking of using it again on their next one.

So what else do you see for this enclosure in your mind? Like what kind of plants? A hide or a house? What sort of water source?

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
I have used the metal roofing for my larger two tortoises for several years and I liked it. I didn't use it on the last enclosure for them, but am thinking of using it again on their next one.

So what else do you see for this enclosure in your mind? Like what kind of plants? A hide or a house? What sort of water source?

Jacqui - my husband is going to get the metal this afternoon. found a guy that would give some to him used, but in great shape. so, we are definitely going for that. also in this thread - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/in-ground-soaking-dish.88643/ if you go down to the post by OCTortoiseGuy there are photos of a concrete water pond. that's what i'd like to do for a water source. for now, i'll just sink a great big water pan in the ground, but i'm hoping we can do one like in that thread. the hide - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/ we are planning to use tom's design.

Judyann

I have thought about using metal but in AZ am afraid it would get too hot and burn mouths.