Behind the Scenes Galapagos Tortoises at the Zoo

Vet

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
This was definitely a day to remember - feeding the Galapagos tortoises behind the scenes at our zoo. My good friend is one of the herp keepers there. Galaps are by far my favorite! The female in the indoor pics is the sweetest, "Debbie" who loves neck and head rubs. The 2nd female is in the "saddleback" in the outdoor pics. The large male pictured is "Abercrombie" outside in the grass. The males were much more food motivated. There are two males and two females total. They are all between 80-95 years old and were originally taken from the Galapagos islands. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of us holding the hatchling galapagos but I have a couple pictures of them in a display tank (they rotate them). There are around 25 eggs in the incubator right now as well. I can't wait until they start hatching -- I will be up there and post pictures when they do. Hope you all enjoy

258xdts.jpg
30nkmpt.jpg
24nnzbm.jpg
15zpidd.jpg
287odxg.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! !

Great pics and how lucky of you ladies......

I'm turning GREEN because I'm so ENVY of you...:):)

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
Thank you! It was a big blessing for sure. I am hoping to get back in there with the galaps on Wednesday when I head back up to the zoo. My 1st behind the scenes was the galaps, and last week I went and toured the herpetarium area... saw lots of torts, turtles & held their shingleback skink. Addicted!!!

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
Yes! My friend is excited he has come since he is a "herp" guy. They really need a new herpetarium so hopefully it will be in the plans now :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yes! My friend is excited he has come since he is a "herp" guy. They really need a new herpetarium so hopefully it will be in the plans now :)
That would be him. He transferred from zoo Atlanta. Very nice smart man.

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
Awesome! Can't wait to see what's in store for the herps. The herpetarium and the island life (galapagos) buildings are their oldest & smallest. The elephants have been getting all the attention

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Large mammals usually do get all the attention. The Regulations constantly change for large mammals so most the time they have to always expand or update to the newest "code" Dwight is a tortoise guy, so will certainly be influential on them there.

katrvt

5 Year Member
When I did my internship there summer before last, a new herpetarium was in their 10 year plan, after the Indonesia setup and new hospital but before the aquaticus redo and I don't remember what else...

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
Yep the new hospital is coming along from what I saw and Asia is supposed to be next :) I am betting the Herpetarium next. Awesome, I am hoping to do an internship there next summer.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Wow, love that you are able to have these experiences! Keep sharing so some of us can vicariously live through you!!! ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep the new hospital is coming along from what I saw and Asia is supposed to be next :) I am betting the Herpetarium next. Awesome, I am hoping to do an internship there next summer.
That's one of the reasons Dwight transferred there. More money in budget and brighter future for expansion. That zoo will certainly see a large change in upcoming years. He has quite the knowledge and personal collection of Asian turtles and tortoises. So Asia will for sure be nice. Herpetarium will eventually unfold.