Benefit Of Feeding Opuntia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We all have read about the nutritional value of feeding opuntia, but I don't remember seeing it mentioned as being a food that helps to keep the tortoises beaks in shape. I grow my own so I am able to feed the pad size that fits the tortoise, the bigger the tortoise the tougher the pad they can eat, I think this helps in beak growth control. These pics are from pads chewed on by my adult sulcata. When I hand feed him it is easier for him to eat it from a side angle than from the top or bottom of the pad but he still gets the benefit of the tougher fibers in the pad. Opinions please.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I didn't know they were that stringy inside the bigger pads. I have read before that natural grazing helps to keep beak trimmed. I always figured that the same would stand for them eating cactus as it has a tuff outer skin. I wouldn't think it would help their beaks when chopped up for them though. Just my thought on it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I agree that tough cactus helps, to some extent, in keeping beaks at a easily-managed length. along with cuttle- and beef bones (depending on size of tortoise). Also feeding them on a flat stone.

Probably not as much, if chopped too small...I always give my adult torts cactus in full pads, youngsters get pieces about as large as their shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.