Berry leaves and Flowers for Red Foot?

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't find any direct info on it, I'm in Ontario and live on 10 acres in the country. We have a lot of wild strawberry and blackberry bushes and wondering if my red foot can eat the leaves and/or flowers? I know the berries can be in moderation. We don't use pesticides or anything so all good that way. Also if any other suggestions for other weeds/flowers/etc in Ontario would be much appreciated as i want to feed a varied diet. I've done a tremendous amount of research but curious what others have for go to foods. Currently he gets dandelion greens/flowers, spring mix, kiwi, papaya, occasional carrots, clover. He is only 4 months old. Sorry for such a long post Thank you!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Mine will only eat the freshest blackberry leaves, I don't think they like the spikes on the underside once they are stiff and mature. They really love grape leaves though.

AmberD

Ontario
Mine will only eat the freshest blackberry leaves, I don't think they like the spikes on the underside once they are stiff and mature. They really love grape leaves though.
Yes I thought that about the spikes on the blackberries. Good to know. I saw some grape vines for sale at the nurseries in town. Maybe I will have to plant one and see what happens! Do you feed the blackberry flowers as well?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yes I thought that about the spikes on the blackberries. Good to know. I saw some grape vines for sale at the nurseries in town. Maybe I will have to plant one and see what happens! Do you feed the blackberry flowers as well?

I've never noticed them eating the flowers themselves and I've never offered them so I'm not sure. I would assume it is safe since the plants and berries are.