Bertha back from the vet..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just visited Broward Avian and Exotic in South Florida to seek help for my female RF that hasn't eaten in two weeks.
X-ray and blood work with exams revealed a healthy tortoise with no obstruction or infestations. A healthy heart and no respiratory issues.
I was informed that a healthy RF can go three MONTHS without eating?
I liked the place. I'd go back. I just wish the $300 would have accomplished something....At the very least I don't have to fear that she has anything contagious and I've placed her back into my female pen.

Attachments

• 20150427_114540.jpg
    20150427_114540.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 1426712183927.jpg
    1426712183927.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 39

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What are your temperatures ? The ground temperature maybe to cold for her . Set her up indoors with higher controlled temperature and humidity see what happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try what Mike said and look for possible bullying? Is there enough sun to warm up in? Is there enough shade? Just throwing possibilities to check over. Glad she's good and healthy though.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's in the 90s. 80s in the shade and the girls stay in separate areas except at sleeping time. Then they seem to like the big doghouse.
There are shade areas and pools to cool off in.
They don't live indoors. She has been in an isolated pen because I thought she was contagious.
Thanks.

Turtlepete

South Florida
97 here the other day…she's warm enough. Plus regular rain showers.

At the least, she has a clean bill of health now. Just keep pushing different foods and reduce any stress as much as possible. Out of curiosity, how do you offer her food? On a plate/tray? Some tortoises refuse this kind of meal. I've had good success tempting tortoises to eat by just offering their food in whole pieces spread throughout the enclosures so they can browse on it. Leafy branches of hibiscus, chunks of cantaloupe, a big piece of papaya with seeds in it, bananas, etc..

On the bright side, I'm surprised you only spent $300. The last time I took a turtle to a vet (boxie with an ear access), I was told it would by over $700 simply to lance it and drain it….No joke. Exotics are absurdly expensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this the latest RF tortoise that you brought home? If so, can you contact the previous owner and find out what the tortoise is used to eating?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Apparently he fed them by dumping old produce discarded by grocery stores right on the ground.
I've never tried not using a plate or my plastic troughs.
Tomorrow I'll leave some Romain laying around on the ground.
I have seen her looking down while she walks in the grass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But try to feed her what she's used to seeing as 'food.' Get some iceburg lettuce, etc. The kinds of things that the produce guy trims off the produce and tosses.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have only good things to say about the vet and the shop in general.
I just wish we could make her live.
I'll take photos once she's back home.
She is under ten pounds now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think this was a very good move. A lot of times they start eating on their own after being fed through the tube for a week or so. Just remember, a tortoise's metabolism is quite slow, and you don't want to keep adding more food until it has started to empty out of the stomach. She won't need a whole lot of food through the tube daily. But I'm sure you vet has educated you on this subject. Good luck and I hope you can turn her around!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think this was a very good move. A lot of times they start eating on their own after being fed through the tube for a week or so. Just remember, a tortoise's metabolism is quite slow, and you don't want to keep adding more food until it has started to empty out of the stomach. She won't need a whole lot of food through the tube daily. But I'm sure you vet has educated you on this subject. Good luck and I hope you can turn her around!!
Yesterday and today its just Pedialite. 10 units x2 and today 20 x 2. Critical care feeding begins on Friday and it is 20x2. It looks pretty sad but she seems to not be too uncomfortable.......

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
This is the tortoise that you thought was near death? Or is this a different one?