Best ambient temp gauge and kane heating pads?

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Branch, TX
Hello all!

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction:

What is your favorite ambient temp guage?

Also, who has experience with the kane heating pads?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have all sorts of temp gauges. I prefer the digital wireless ones from the hardware store.

I've been using Kane Heat Mats for many years. No problems. Nothing but good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. Do you hang on the wall or do you use directly on the floor?

They are not effective when mounted on a wall. They are not designed for that. They are meant to be laid upon. I've only ever mounted them on the floor and they work great for me. I've had a few conversations with Craig Kane about the design and philosophy behind his mats, and I feel very comfortable with the redundant safeties that are built into them.

Spring Branch, TX
They are not effective when mounted on a wall. They are not designed for that. They are meant to be laid upon. I've only ever mounted them on the floor and they work great for me. I've had a few conversations with Craig Kane about the design and philosophy behind his mats, and I feel very comfortable with the redundant safeties that are built into them.

Ok that's what I was wondering as I've seen several folks mount on the wall. Didn't make much sense to me. Thanks so much!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok that's what I was wondering as I've seen several folks mount on the wall. Didn't make much sense to me. Thanks so much!!

Radiant Heat Panels can be wall mounted as they are designed to project heat outward, but care should be taken that the tortoise can't contact it as they are not tough enough to stand up to being rubbed on by a hard tortoise shell. The Kane mats, on the other hand, can stand up to the abuse of a hard shelled 150 monster laying itself on them all night long for years.

Spring Branch, TX
Radiant Heat Panels can be wall mounted as they are designed to project heat outward, but care should be taken that the tortoise can't contact it as they are not tough enough to stand up to being rubbed on by a hard tortoise shell. The Kane mats, on the other hand, can stand up to the abuse of a hard shelled 150 monster laying itself on them all night long for years.

Gotcha. I was looking into the radiant heat panels as well. One particular brand was recommended to me by a local zoo. I appreciate the quick and detailed responses, Tom!!