1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Best Breeder Burmese Star

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by Shaif, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    Going a bit further off topic about "extinct in the wild". The dawn of what became know as the "Asian Turtle Crisis" with Bill McCord's video was a report by well regarded turtle people that 'all the spengleri' had been harvested from Tam Dao national park in Vietnam.

In 2001 a decade later I was there and though they did not peer up at me from the foot bridges that connected one area to another in that fading French resort town. they were indeed super abundant there. I took photos of many dozen, pre digital camera for me - so no I won't post images. it's a pain the a$$ to fool with all that.

All I hear when some team explores known range and declare they can't find any, is people confessing they are mediocre field biologists. And yes I know who I'm saying that about.

There is a similar phenomena with rubber boas here in CA. Some folks can find them by the bucket load based on skill, some find a few based on luck. Different things make it easy for even well trained turtle biologist to do well in one setting and do poorly in another. Search image and expectation seem to be key to it all. Seasonal timing and how you walk in the area make a difference too.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

So from this I gather you are saying platynota are not extinct in the wild? That would be great if you are correct.
    Will likes this.
  3. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    It's easy to say there are no three legged Canadian Geese in the wild, yet to say that and purport it as a scientific fact is foolish, until you have looked at all the geese (big N). Or at looked as an good sampling (little n) and say with 97% certainty there are no three-legged geese in the wild. That's what is gather-able from what I am saying Tom.
  4. Ernie Johnson

Ernie Johnson Member

Its fascinating the instinctual behavior of tortoises.

I had my male Russian's start the pre-hibernation process 10 years ago when we lived in Minneapolis in August in the middle of a 90-95 degree 2 week run purely do to a neighbors tree covering 80% of their outdoor pen at the at time. They're so wired to the light, just like Burms for laying eggs.

The eleven hour threshold hits here in Dallas around Halloween, so no real difference from your location.
  5. Ernie Johnson

Ernie Johnson Member

Yeah, there are di**heads born every day.
  6. oramarco

oramarco New Member

Skottip, I sent you a text (to **4-7054) about those holdbacks from last year. Did you receive my message? Let me know in case you still have some.
    Shaif likes this.
  7. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Scott answered me in a PM before thanksgiving, but I didn;t want to post it until I got the "ok" from him. I asked him to share his incubation technique, and this was his reply:

Hey guys. My incubation techniques are as follows: Immediately after digging up the eggs I diapause at 64 degrees for 28 days. Constant temperature, no fluctuations. I then incubate at 88 or 89 degrees for females. I found that 89 degrees produces more splitters so its a slippery slope if you want females with no scute irregularities. Average incubation 90 days in heat.
    I have a homemade incubator with a fan. (old wine cooler)I think still air incubators have way too much temperature fluctuations so depending on where you have your probe, there could be varying temperatures inside the incubator. Come mid egg laying season, my incubator is full. I have a 30 inch height difference in my incubator so I think no matter how good your incubator and fan is, there will be restricted airflow which will make the temps fluctuate.
    I have sold most of my animals I produced and the few people I spoke to did indeed get females from the ones I did incubate high.(except for Tom but I don't think he can sex tortoises) lol A few years ago I incubated low for males to give buyers options to buy pairs and as expected, no one wanted males. I can tell you with 100% certainty, the all turned out to be males. lol (anyone need males?) :)
    I held back a few from last year that I am considering having scoped, just because..
    Ill keep you posted.
    Happy Bird day.
    Markw84 likes this.
  8. Ernie Johnson

Ernie Johnson Member

Tom,

Interesting comments from Scott. I've haven't ask Chris Leone how temps are playing out for him to see if there's any consistent "parameters" that seem to get TSM and TSF results with higher probabilities.

All I can say is Berlandier's (from many years ago when I was more lucky than smart), Russians, and Redfoot's are/were alarmingly consistent for TSM and TSF.