Best CHE and dimmer/thermostat?

sheilae04

This will be my first winter with my Russian in my classroom without me at night. When he's been home with me in the winter, our temperature doesn't get below 60 degrees F so I've never worried about nighttime heat. I can't control the heat at night in our school, so I'm looking at a CHE on a timer (like my regular lights are), but with a controlled temperature that it can be set on. Our local pet store has Zoomed products, and our Home Depot has a timer like the one I am currently using. What I'm not sure about is a thermostat or dimmer...where do I find one, and what is the best route to go? My Russian is an adult and is very active, social, and acclimated to his environment. I have 2 heat lamps on for 12 hours a day, with a tube UVB. He soaks once a week. His enclosure is 4'x8'. Thanks for your help!

Prognathodon

Location (City and/or State)
NE Illinois
Coming to tortoises from snakes, my favorite thermostats are Herpstats, by Spyder Robotics (spyderrobotics.com). We have Herpstat 2s and 4s in the house, and were drooling when the 6 came out (number refers to the number of outputs). Second-favorite are the Vivarium Electronics thermostats, from Reptile Basics (reptilebasics.com). They work fine, I like the features on the Herpstats better.

Herpstats and VEs are available from multiple vendors and reptile shops, I tend to go straight to the source.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
i like hydrofarm thermostat it's cheap and gets the job done. it's on amazon. there's not much difference in CHE besides the wattage