Best enclosures for Rehabilitating Hermanns?

MiniDino

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi everyone,
In early summer this year I was given two 5 year old female hermanns torts who are sisters. (I live in the south of England, UK).

They’ve been through a bit of a tough time previous to me taking them on. I took them to the vet early on and they confirmed they’re about the size you’d expect a 2-3year old to be. They have had parasite test and all ok.
They have some shell rot which is slowly on the mend with the treatment I’m doing with them, and the shell injuries from dog bites they experienced are slowly healing over.
They have a good diet now of correct weeds and have lived outside in the outdoor enclosure I built them, where I pop them safely into there little outside house at night.

My question is about winter housing them. Due to the healing that they still need to do over the next months, I don’t think they’re fit enough yet to hibernate this year. Can they stay in their outdoor pen with a heat light, or should I bring them inside overwinter? Nights are starting to drop to 12-15degrees here and I’m aware I need to whip them up a new indoor enclosure if that’s the correct plan.

I’d be grateful if you can guide me on the correct place for these two little Hermanns torts to live over winter in the UK if I do not hibernate them. I am lucky that space is not a problem and I am very handy with DIY, so whatever’s best for them is no problem. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, they should not be hibernate. Only healthy torts should hibernate.
Bring them in for winter. It will be too hard to jeep them awake outside in my opinion
I also think they should have their own enclosures. Not only because torts should not be kept in pairs but the stress of being in a pair could slow their healing progress.
A 4x8 foot enclosure for each, well lit and good day temps will help keep them well awake.

MiniDino

London, UK
Thank you. That’s really helpful. I’ll bring them in & keep them awake this year. I’ll give them their own areas to sleep in but they do seem to gravitate together.