Best grass for a south Texas outdoor enclosure?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My search feature is not working, so I'm asking something that I'm sure has been asked before. I live in south Tx and want to find a good grass for my outdoor enclosure (for a leopard tortoise) . I was going to do a pasture grass, but I'm not sure if I want 2'-4' of grass in the enclosure. I was thinking of a turf grass like zoysia or a bermuda grass. I just need to know if the pasture grass can be trimmed to a shorter height, and if zoysias and bermudas are as nutritious as the pasture grasses. Also a lot of the pasture grasses down here have Johnson grass included in them, that can go through a toxic period during times of drought.... anything you have to share would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have regular old Bermuda grass in all my pens. When I first planted my Aldabran pen many years ago, I decided to be different and bought a couple rolls of Hybrid Bermuda turf. It looks great, however, it must not be very tasty because the tortoises avoid it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would lean more toward broadleaf weeds and succulents. According to what I've seen, that is a more "natural" diet for a leopard. Not that they won't eat grass. Many of them do, but the studies of wild diets that I've seen don't show grass as a large component of their diet, unless we are talking about South Africans. Grape vine leaves, hibiscus leaves, spineless opuntia, african hibiscus and lavatera are all good choices. I would try some various Testudo seed mixes too.

I don't know if the pasture grass mixes can be mowed and kept short. I've never tried that, but sometimes when my sulcatas graze it down, it seems to come back okay.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks guys! The enclosure is heavily planted with prickly pear cacti and flowers.