Best grass seed for arizona

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
Any one know of a good grass seed mix for the desert heat? I've used the grazing mix from Carolina pet supply a few times now but this last time 2 pounds worth barely sprouted. So any recommendations on any grasses that grow in Arizona is appreciated

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
I’ve purchased from Great Basin Seed. They have quite a list of native grasses intended for grazing. I don’t live in Arizona, however.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My climate is similar to yours. 100+ degrees every day from June to October. This one works fantastic. Don't let it dry out at all in the heat of the day when it is first sprouting. Water every hour if need be.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
My climate is similar to yours. 100+ degrees every day from June to October. This one works fantastic. Don't let it dry out at all in the heat of the day when it is first sprouting. Water every hour if need be.

It’s interesting, one of the positive comments on this particular seed is from a tortoise owner.

➡️➡️ Samantha on Jul 07, 2018
Upon receiving this product I planted immediately because I was so excited! It started to grow within the first 3 day and after just a week it was 6 inches tall. Amazing quality and my tortoises love to graze on it. I will definitely be buying more from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s interesting, one of the positive comments on this particular seed is from a tortoise owner.

➡️➡️ Samantha on Jul 07, 2018
Upon receiving this product I planted immediately because I was so excited! It started to grow within the first 3 day and after just a week it was 6 inches tall. Amazing quality and my tortoises love to graze on it. I will definitely be buying more from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply.
I've been using it for close to 10 years and have recommended it here many times. I wonder if that was a TFO member...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If Bermuda grows in your area it is a very hardy and edible grass.

Hai

Tucson az
Awesome thanks everyone for the recommendations. @Tom I will give that one a try. Thank you

Luzmary Holt

Camarillo
Hi,

I have a Sulcate Desert tortoise (Tortellini) I had him since he was 7 months old, I have hand fed him ever since, (he eats on his own though). He is 4-1/2-year-old and 30-35 lbs. know; he still loves to be hand fed; I always try to keep my fingers away as he could accidentally bite.

He recognizes my voice and or knows his name when I call him, he loves to be by my side when I’m out gardening or in the yard, they do learn to interact with people if they are around often

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I have a Sulcate Desert tortoise (Tortellini) I had him since he was 7 months old, I have hand fed him ever since, (he eats on his own though). He is 4-1/2-year-old and 30-35 lbs. know; he still loves to be hand fed; I always try to keep my fingers away as he could accidentally bite.

He recognizes my voice and or knows his name when I call him, he loves to be by my side when I’m out gardening or in the yard, they do learn to interact with people if they are around often
Sulcatas are not desert tortoises. They come from forest edge areas and grassland areas. A lot of rainfall is needed, at least seasonally, to sustain forests and grasslands. Housing them in desert conditions will often lead to their death in one or more of several ways.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
@Tom, do you know if this pasture mix requires decent soil? I, too, live in AZ and am interested in planting some (when it's back in stock). I'm curious if I'll need to amend my "soil" (which is not very fertile at all, just hard, dusty dirt). Just wondering if you know off the top of your head.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, do you know if this pasture mix requires decent soil? I, too, live in AZ and am interested in planting some (when it's back in stock). I'm curious if I'll need to amend my "soil" (which is not very fertile at all, just hard, dusty dirt). Just wondering if you know off the top of your head.
I always added in some compost or "garden soil" into the native dirt and that worked for me.