Best habitat for baby horsefield

sanshia

Hi
I'm new to keeping tortoises and am worried about my baby horsefield
I've had him for 6 months and was told he was a year old when I got him
He started squeeking last month so I took him too a vet who told me to change his substrate from soil to newspaper and add a red heat bulb to keep on all night
She also told me he is very small for his age
He is eating ok but quite fussy mainly salad leafs and corn
He goes in the garden most days for an hour or so when it's warm and eats the weeds etc
I bathe him daily
Am I doing everything right?
Would really appreciate any help.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome! :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Your tort is really cute.Take good care of it especially if you haven't dealt with them before, like myself. I've had a tort for about 3 years but I've never had a pet before so I had to do A LOT of research after which I joined the forum.
Good lluck!

sanshia

Thank you for your replies,
I've had a quick read on the links, Tom,
I'm in the uk and it gets very cold in the night so if I take out the red heat lamp at night how will he keep warm enough? I have left a quarter of his box with soil and aspen which he digs into sometimes, he has some flat rocks too which he like to climb,
He is nearly always basking under the lamps and it's not even that cold yet? Is that normal?
Thank you

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I believe you will want to get a ceramic heating element ( CHE) which comes in various wattages depending on the size of your enclosure (75, 100, 150w, etc). These emit no light, but put off nice warm heat thst is maintained day and night. There is a lot of info on this forum about CHEs and other lighting and heating methods.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your replies,
I've had a quick read on the links, Tom,
I'm in the uk and it gets very cold in the night so if I take out the red heat lamp at night how will he keep warm enough? I have left a quarter of his box with soil and aspen which he digs into sometimes, he has some flat rocks too which he like to climb,
He is nearly always basking under the lamps and it's not even that cold yet? Is that normal?
Thank you

They need it cold at night. Its good for them. They are not a tropical species that need it warm all the time. Unless your house is dropping below 14-15 C at night, your tortoise will be fine as long as it can warm up properly during the day. If you feel you need night heat, then it is best provided by a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat. I would not set the thermostat any higher than 18-20 C for night time. This also means that your enclosure will need to be brightly lit and have a basking area on one end of around 37 C during the day. You should be using a long florescent UV tube and check your UV levels with a light meter to insure you've got it right.