Best Heat Lamp??

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Looking to get Tommy a spare bulb just incase his fails and I'm left with nothing to replace it with.

He currently has a red 75w heat lamp. Personally I worry that it is making his vivarium too hot as sometimes when I check his thermometer it isn't far from 100F (although I guess the thermometer is directly under the heat light. I am currently waiting on the delivery of one for the cold end).

What bulbs are best to get? Has anyone tried the moonlight ones and what are your opinions on them? -- [Link to Moonlight bulb on Ebay]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you just want it for heat and not for UVB, then get a CHE. They come in differing wattages and I think a 100 watt would probably be big enough for your viv.

OurTommy

UK
Yvonne G said:
If you just want it for heat and not for UVB, then get a CHE. They come in differing wattages and I think a 100 watt would probably be big enough for your viv.

Yes I came across those but saw a few comments from people saying they get very hot! I have a 75w currently so wouldn't a 75 be enough again?
I have a separate UV light so I guess just for heat is the main thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
CHE do get really hot. They are great for heat, no light and last a long time. I personally, wouldn't buy under 100 watts.

OurTommy

UK
wellington said:
CHE do get really hot. They are great for heat, no light and last a long time. I personally, wouldn't buy under 100 watts.

Even if it's a small Viv? Think I might try one of those then. The red light from the one he has now won't bug me at night then either haha.

Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like to use colored bulbs ever. They make things look "funny" to the tortoises. I use CHEs to maintain ambient temps day and night. I use "white" flood bulbs on a timer for daytime.

That looks like a Russian in your avatar. Generally they don't need night heat, unless your house is in a refrigerator.