Best incubator

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hello, I am going to buy an incubator for the future. I was looking at the exo terra reptibator. But I've also heard of using the hovabator. Any advice is good advice!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The best Incubator is the one that hatches the most eggs.

Do some searches on home made or DIY incubators and you will learn lots of good stuff about what makes a good incubator. Then compare the needs of the eggs to the features of the incubators. Or search this forum, this has been discussed before.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Just remember you do not need the automatic egg turner and all those other chicken egg features. The added water pans that cost extra...all of those things are really not necessary for reptile eggs and in some cases, they cost more. Look for cheaper versions that do not have those. Go digital and see threw.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have cheap hovabators (bought off craigslist for $20) and an expensive refrigerator like one (I got as a present.) They both work pretty much the same. I've had great results with both.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
The inexpensive hovabator a 1602n are awesome and work fantastic. I have several of them, but you could do a homemade one using an old refrigerator or if you want to hold a bunch of eggs. It's been my experience with incubators that more expensive doesn't mean better.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Interesting to see everyone's advice .....

"you can play baseball with a broom handle too"

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I ' ve in 13 yrs used the little boxes , I bought a nice incubator ( I've never took out of the box) , and I made one out of a wine cooler with a glass front . I like it the best : it holds the most eggs ,it works the best , and most important I MADE IT .

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well a wine cooler is insalated and air tight so you'll need sml air pump and some plastic tubing , a reptile heat pad , a inside and outside thermomitor , and a plug in thermomitor .

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
N2TORTS said:
tffnytorts said:
N2TORTS said:

Tried that once...Didnt work.

Neither will some of the above advice............;)

Perhaps instead of being cryptic, you could add your expertise to the topic? If you know something that is better than what is suggested than it would benefit all of us to hear that rather than your stick ball analogy. After all, the guy who produces the ghosts should have some very good advice on this topic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I've re-read all the above posts and I don't see any bad advice.

I've used a Little Giant bird brooder ever since the beginning of time. I have 6 of them. They work just fine. I take out the wire shelf and use plastic sandwich boxes with holes punched in the sides up towards the top. I then put in moistened perlite or vermiculite, nestle the eggs down in the medium and put the top on the sandwich box. I also fill the water receptacles that are in the bottom of the incubator.

Wishing I had a bigger incubator I spent about $200 on a thermo-electric, electronic mini-fridge type incubator. I never could get it where I could understand the difference between the real temperature inside and what the reading said, so I gave it to my tortoise partner. He's happy with it.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
N2TORTS said:
tffnytorts said:
N2TORTS said:

Tried that once...Didnt work.

Neither will some of the above advice............;)
Ok Pal ......No problem …..first let’s start with the H20 and Oxygen exchange necessary requirements for each species. I will use Redfoots as an example .We want to create Humidity, not moisture in our incubation container. We do not want to create a wet environment, just high ambient humidity in the container (80-90%). We also need to be sure there is an amount of ventilation, or the exchange of air by opening a sealed container on a regular basis(not needed on other ‘professional Bator’s as they most all have a constant air flow exchange). Eggs are living things, and though their demands are low, they require oxygen to live. A sealed container is not preferable, because in a short amount of time, the air can become stagnant, which can promote condensation and growth mold and bacteria. Ventilation holes should be very small to insure that excessive moisture is not lost through evaporation. This can be a tough venture to try and measure accurately with even the most current hand held sensor devices. A permanent humidity probe (placed within the box) with a digital exterior read out, will give you a more accurate result without disrupting your box. This also applies to your temps.
Let’s look at the World for a second. We know that temperature changes effect the Dewpoint. This is why, when we have cool nights, that in the morning we have dew on our cars, the ground, plant leafs... Dew is really just nature’s version of condensation. Condensation is our biggest Enemy in egg incubating. Excessive condensation creates Dew on our eggs and the inside of the container, often causing droplets to form on the roof. Condensation promotes mold and bacterial growth, which is our enemy in the microclimate we call our "egg box". The larger our container, and the more media we use, the less the contents are effected by environmental changes in temperature. This is not a big factor in a perfectly controlled incubator climate, but can be a disaster for eggs that require, or thrive, with a mild temperature fluctuation. Temperature fluctuation can be an important part of the incubation of the eggs of many species, so we must understand the mechanics of providing the best management practices possible. The bottom line is that in all situations, this is an example of "bigger is always better". By using the largest container possible, and choosing the right media, we can significantly increase our rate of success. Smaller incubators create various amounts of “Hot Spots” that thru very accurate record keeping I could prove theory on success on hatch rate as to where placed in the Bator’.
This is just the first part of the equation, and some understanding what we are striving for in our little micro-chamber. Taking good notes is also essential, so that you can remember your failure and success in years to come. Coming up with a recipe that works for you, and writing it down will insure you get it right every time. There are a lot of variability that can affect our success, so a formula that works for One person in California, might now work for another in North Dakota.

Face it these little creatures hatch naturally around the world in the darn ground……and I’m sure one could hatch one in a coffee can if they choose. I have hatched 100’s of eggs and used just about every incubator on the market. I’m pretty crafty as well , so making one is not that big of deal. But the components (quality) themselves are where it’s tuff to draw a line of a DYI or Manufactured. I will however stress to your research and don’t necessary look for a pretty reptile picture on the package.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
So to the beginner, JD, one who has not even attempted to hatch an egg, what would you recommend? I myself will be attempting three toed box turtles this summer. We have been letting them do what they do in the ground but they are really hard to find. One year we found 19 babies and the next year only 5. As a beginner, while doing some research myself, I would like to have at least a starting point. I've talked to people who swear by a styro-foam cooler with a light bulb and some tupperware filled with water? Personally, I would like to start with something a little more, um, developed.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I quite like the "Little Giant". I have a hovabator but don't like it.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't think Evan some one with out years of time working with turtles or torts should loose many eggs . If their asking those of us with years of working with torts and turtles and doing what we say they shouldn't many or any !

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sal this time you have a much better approach with less tude'.....
Like I mentioned, One could use a coffee can/light bulb and if the right temps/humidity are met- you may have a successful hatch. There are times (few for myself but has happened) where we miss eggs during the laying and they will naturally ground hatch inside the hut or within the tortoise grounds….Again stressing “depends where you live and the time of year”. Choosing the Bator’ that works for you and how easy it is to maintain during these times (4-6 months) with a *constant* it what it boils down to. Knowing the species requirements, maturity and health of the Dam all play roles during these times as well. You will find hatching Radi’, Hypo’s or other high end torts who produce less than 1/10th of a Sullie in a single lay ….One is a little more hesitant to wildly take chances of BYO. (We already have) Most of the breeders have spent many of years trying to “perfect” their own system for the species they breed and adjusting to where they perform this. Hatching a single clutch can be done ….hatching many clutches all through-out the year is a different ball game only to be met with experience.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I thought the reason we are here is to help the in-experienced people to do what we have tried many times to do with a few failures but to help new people to do it without as many failures . That's why so many new people join everyday . Have a great day

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Saleama said:
So to the beginner, JD, one who has not even attempted to hatch an egg, what would you recommend? I myself will be attempting three toed box turtles this summer. We have been letting them do what they do in the ground but they are really hard to find. One year we found 19 babies and the next year only 5. As a beginner, while doing some research myself, I would like to have at least a starting point. I've talked to people who swear by a styro-foam cooler with a light bulb and some tupperware filled with water? Personally, I would like to start with something a little more, um, developed.

Just my extra 2 cents here - I find the hovabator an excellent incubator for the box turtle eggs. Since this is your first time, I really recommend just getting something cheap and easy. It's already put together, keeps a steady temperature, and holds humidity well. I always have very good results using it with my box turtle eggs. Good luck!