Best lighting for a baby red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inthevalley

5 Year Member
Hello! I'm receiving my baby redfoot on Tuesday and am so excited! I'm new to being a tortoise owner so am trying to do research and set up her home properly before she arrives. My brother sent me a "Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB" bulb...is that a sufficient bulb to get the job done? My sister mentioned she read that that type can cause eye infections? Also do I need a separate heat lamp aside from the UVB?

Thanks for your help!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Is it a coil type bulb? If so, take it back. A uva/uvb bulb should be sufficient.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Sounds like a tube UVB (the coil shaped ones cause the possible eye problems). If so, that's fine and needed for your tort. They do little for heat though. I would suggest a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) for heat. They're easiest on a thermostat, but you can also find the correct height to place it over the enclosure and monitor the temperatures.

Try to get it as soon as possible, so you can tweak anything before your RF arrives. Every system needs at least a little tweaking before its just right.

So exciting for you! What's the rest of the enclosure like?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Inthevalley

5 Year Member
Thanks!
It is a coil bulb, my brother sent it to me. But I will be ordering a different one just to be safe.

My brother is also going to build me a tortoise box but it'll be a while before I get that, so for now it's just in a rubber maid under bed storage tub...which will do for now since she's still so little :)

kristin_roman

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I use a zoo med power sun bulb, it's UVA UVB and heat all in one! It's a bit pricey but has a one year warrantee on it!ImageUploadedByTortForum1373773330.311637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Kristin what reflector would you use because a reptile store has said to use the medium exo terra glow light but I read some reviews on it and they whereby v good?

kristin_roman

5 Year Member
North Carolina
For mine I use a zoomed combo dome, and have it hanging. So I can put the day bulb in one and night in the other. ImageUploadedByTortForum1373812924.420192.jpg
Mine isn't a reflector though.

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would use a CHE and a tube UVB ( reptisun by zoo med is what i used). They don't like a lot of light so the UVB will give them dim lighting and the CHE for day/night heat.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: Best lighting for a baby red foot

theelectraco said:
I would use a CHE and a tube UVB ( reptisun by zoo med is what i used). They don't like a lot of light so the UVB will give them dim lighting and the CHE for day/night heat.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

I second this.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Beck said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

I second this.

I third this. :D But if you want alternatives, some people don't use uvb light if the tort can get regular outside time (in a secure outside enclosure) under the sun.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
My tort does go out on occasions when it's sunny like the last few days but otherwise unfortunately she is inside

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Re: RE: Best lighting for a baby red foot

Rramagge said:
My tort does go out on occasions when it's sunny like the last few days but otherwise unfortunately she is inside

Hi Rebecca. This thread is for a red foot, who has different heat/basking needs then your species. The comment on UVB is the same though.

Just wanted you to be aware :)

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Oh oops I didn't realise I'm still kind of new to all this.
Thanx for letting me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.